2nd Gen R59 Roadster Insulation in Bonnet

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by JECO, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Have read on other sites queries about an insulation blanket being installed on some MINIs and not others. There seems to be loads of confusion on purpose, whether it conflicts with air scoop, and on what models it comes factory installed. I like the idea because the hood becomes very hot on my Roadster. Cool to the touch on my wife's Countryman which has the insulation. Any intelligence on this?

2. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Just spoke to my MA at Mini of Sterling who cleared up the insulation question. Insulation is installed on all models EXCEPT those with air scoops on the hood. My wife's Countryman S has the insulation, but no scoop. My Roadster has the scoop but no insulation. Many have been theorizing as have I, but now I know the simple truth. The MA says the insulation would be torn to shreds if installed on a car with the scoop. Would prefer to have insulation, but I was talked out of it.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Mine has the scoop and insulation from the factory (granted it doesn't cover the full bonnet) and it'sa R56 and it's not shreaded. Ahhhhhh.... Simple truth just got changed..... Maybe?

[​IMG]

4. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up Metalman. Perhaps not relevant, but my MA was only referring to 2012 models. So I am starting to get puzzled all over again!

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #5 Jason Montague, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    :cornut: My Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) also has the bonnet scoop and the insulating sub bonnet blanket. I had to drill out the plastic scoop inlet cover to make it a real scoop though which maybe why my plastic scoop never warped/melted.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    mine also has the insulation, but it's an 07 S. Maybe they leave it off the roadster so it sounds louder/sportier?

7. carboman

carboman New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My dealer explained that S models WITH factory installed stripes were supposed to receive factory installed full under hood Insulation. I just added that insulation to my cars since I added stripes. The hood is much cooler now. Prior to the insulation you could not put your hand on the hood after the car was parked for a few minutes.

8. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    2011 S Hardtop. Came with no insulation. Added a turbo heat shield, it looks good and appears to be of value. Still, when I get home after a run I usually open my hood for a cool down.

Kent

9. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Kent. I am interested if it truly reduces the temp on the hood because I am concerned about damaging the paint finish. Does your shield significantly reduce the hood temp?

10. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I added the NM heat shield (added a heat reflective tape to the shield as well). I did this not because I had had difficulty, but because so many said I should AND it looks great! Didn't do a before and after heat test. I have not had a problem whether I open the hood or not. Lots of members here have this set up so perhaps they can give you a more adequate response.

Kent

11. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've had the NM heat shield on my past 2 MINI's without any distortion to my hood scopes. Many spirited runs and <100 degree outside temps. I also like the under hood look of the Titanium Shield as opposed to looking at the top of the Turbo.

12. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I discovered another heat shield made by M7. It features a layer of insulation and is claimed to cool the hood better than the MR Titanium shield. Anyone know about this product? Perhaps I am overly concerned about paint damage since most everyone else is only concerned about warping of the air scoop.

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The thing you need to be careful about when you add those "Roof" type turbo heat shield covers....
    Notice how they tend to cover up the hard pipe oil connection to the turbo bearing.... In effect, the hard pipe connection has been brought in under that roof, so to speak.... All of the really hot turbo air is kind of directed over that fragile "O" ring seal now. Yep, MINI made a add on cover to protect that seal.... Just be careful what heat gets redirected..... Sure, it looks good and it's protecting the hood.... Just don't damage the oil line seal.... Turbo's aren't cheap..... Just sayin.....

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There has been at least one case that I know of where to much heat kept in caused the plastic valve cover to melt too.

These covers can be too much of a good thing too...

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yep.... Looks like this...
    Oh.... And it'll smell expensive....

IMG_0584.jpg

16. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    You guys have scared me sufficiently so that I will risk posiible damage to the beautiful finish on my hood instead of risking damage to the turbo.

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Nah... Just order the small OEM insulation piece and be done with it. No worries...

18. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    It's me again. I am not aware that Mini makes a roof type shield or is there another?

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The stock R56 shield wraps around the hot side of the turbo... It's the piece with the big X over the hand. Then there is a small metal cover that snaps over the turbo oil line that protects the "O" ring. And then there is the insulation blanket you see in my earlier picture, and finally, MINI came out with the aluminum shield that helps to protect against the scoop warpage issue. These are all OEM parts dealing with turbo heat. MINI also made a material change to the plastic used in the scoop that has a higher heat resistance.

For additional insight there is a thread on melted hood scoops on M/A that lists part numbers of some of the OEM items.

But no, MINI did not offer a "Roof Type" turbo heat shield. Those pieces are only available as aftermarket.

20. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    that is pretty scary