2nd Gen R59 Roadster Parking on incline

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by SicSemper, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SicSemper

SicSemper New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,

I just picked up my Roadster S from the dealer two days ago. Last night I was visiting some friends and parked in their driveway, which had a 10, MAYBE 15-degree incline to it. I didn't think anything about it, but imagine my surprise when I came out a few hours later and my brand new car was part way into the road.

Is this a known issue with Minis that they can't handle any kind of incline without setting the hand brake? Or do I need to go have a few words with the dealership? Because if it's the former, it's pretty damned ridiculous. The Ford I traded in would have to be practically vertical before I'd have to think about using the hand brake.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to MA and congratulations on the new MINI. All I can say is that I always set the hand/emergency brake. Just habit. :Thumbsup:

Jason

3. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Happened to me awhile back in my 08 MCS. Clutch seems fine though. I always use my handbrake now.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Really? You park on a 15* slope without setting the handbrake and you're surpised your car moved?

Which gear did you put it in, or is it an automatic?

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I always use the e-brake on all my vehicles and on stick, always in reverse as it is the strongest gear.

6. SicSemper

SicSemper New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First gear. And yes, I certainly was surprised, considering no other car I've ever driven would have rolled out of a barely sloping driveway like that. Including, in that exact driveway, my old Mustang and my gf's Camry.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Since you have a stick and not an auto-tragic you should always use your parking brake. It's a lot cheaper than clutch parts and it is called a "Parking brake" for a reason. The problem was not with the car.

8. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    SicSemper. Congratulations from another Roadster owner to a new Roadster owner! I am not aware that parking in gear is a MINI problem, but I have to agree that setting the parking brake on any vehicle when parked on an incline is good insurance; as is setiing the wheels toward the curb when on an inclined street. To each his own, however, and I understand your disappointment. By the way, a 15 degree slope is really not a slight incline. Hope your enjoyment with the Roadster outweighs your parking experience. And yes, it would be interesting to know what your dealer has to say.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Great habit to get into, leave it in 1st or reverse & pull the hand brake up. While it seems odd that your car moved I think I understand it. Compression leaks down & the car rolls a bit. Builds more compression stops & stays for a bit, leaks down again. Rinse & repeat until it is at the bottom of the hill. Hope that makes a bit of sense.

Welcome to M/A & enjoy your new MINI. :)

10. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Welcome...

I agree. I always use my parking brake..... Came from driving a Jeep.
    Keeps the force off the transmission and on the brake.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Exactly:Thumbsup:

It's a Parking brake in a stick car and a emergency brake in an auto-tragic car.

Gears are for driving (forward or reverse) not parking.:mad2:

This is one of those things that drives me nuts no matter what type of car or truck people drive. :incazzato::mad::mad2:

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    It is a turning device on all MINI's. Hand brake turn FTW! :D

Another reason to use the e-brake all the time. Over time it will seize up from lack of use. Pulling that brake keeps it limbered up. :wink:

13. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    #13 Friskie, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Back in the day when DRIVING was actually taught to anybody who wanted a driver's license, parking on a grade was part of the program. All the above was included *plus* turning the wheel so that if either of the above were to fail, the car would roll harmlessly into the curb or at least away from traffic.

Attached Files:

14. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Yeah this is far from a Mini related issue as well. There are MANY cars out there that'll do just the same.

With that said I believe reverse holds the best when using a gear. Granted you'd need to be backed into the driveway in the original instance.

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #15 Firebro17, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    Crazy as it sounds, it's law to set the brake here in CA. I just always thought it was a no-brainer when in doubt....

Anyhow, not here to bash and certainly happy to know your new baby is safe after its unattended motoring adventure. :beer

16. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Heck! I had always assumed it was illegal to use the handbrake anywhere in the US, judging by observed drivers' behaviour......:wink:

17. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    On another note, I have come outside to find a few of my cars sitting half in the street....parking brake on and everything.

Just can't forget to shovel the driveway!

18. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    To summarize: set the brake. Enjoy that top down motoring!