2nd Gen R59 Roadster Top down? In cold weather

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MiniJimi, Jan 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MiniJimi

MiniJimi New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Last night I tried to put the top down and it wouldn't go. It was 8 degrees F. Anyone know if this is a "feature" or a problem? I haven't had the chance to get it someplace warm to try it since last night.

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it's a feature or a problem but what ever it was it probably prevented you from destroying your top. Have you read the owners manual yet? My Mini is not a convertible but I've owned probably seven or eight rag tops in my lifetime and you don't want to lower the top when it's freezing. You don't even want to lower the top when it's close to freezing. I find it hard your owners manual doesn't cover this.

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    +1 what he said. Besides, if it's been up a while you want to give it a good cleaning before running it down again anyway. Be very conscious of running it up and down while it's dirty. Grit, dust, dirt, whatever can and will cut the fabric over time. You don't want to know what it costs to replace that canvas. The two most popular canvas cleaners are Ragg Topp and 303.

4. MiniJimi

MiniJimi New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback - my first convertible. Must be a feature, since it worked fine in my garage today. Since I have you attention and you both have some good real knowledge, what's your preferred cleaner/cleaning method for the top?

5. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You must have skimmed the last sentence there. Ragg Topp or 303. Accept no substitutes.

6. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I don't dare try lowering the canvas on my beautiful Roadster in the cold for the very reasons fellow MAers have said, but now I am curious. Is there really an interlock on the top at low temps? Am impressed if designers included that feature.

7. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about the tops on mini's, but I used to have a jeep. I got it in January and couldn't wait to fold the top back. As soon as the first 55° day came along, that top was off. The problem was, I parked it in my garage and left it overnight. The following morinig it was around 20°. The fabric had contracted so much, I was unable to put the top back up, ended up tearing it at one of the seams, and got to drive to work in the freezing cold with the top down.

8. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    As stated in the manual:

"Safety notes on the convertible top
    ▷ At temperatures below +14 ℉/-10 ℃,
    do not move the convertible top or
    else damage could result."

I would not be surprise if operation of the top was electronically blocked below that temperature on partially automated tops... though admittedly I have not tried.

9. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Just do what I did with my TR-3: Don't ever put the top up. I used to drive it to work in the winter wearing my race helmet to keep my head from freezing - and earmuffs on the outside of the helmet for effect. :Thumbsup:

10. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I would have like to see a picture of that :D

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    We have motored topless in all kinds of cold weather conditions with no ill effects. 04 Justa cabrio, 13 Roadster S...

Mark