2nd Gen R59 Roadster Strange faint knock sound

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TG., Jan 22, 2016.

1. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I hope it will get some visibility here but after 26-27k miles the car is developing a very faint clunk noise. It seems random in frequency but occurs regularly. It feels like something is loose somewhere on the suspension or drive train, but not always. It's a low deep sound slightly metallic, kind of a knock sound but not quite like a loose or worn out end-links. It's unsure whether bumps on the roads makes it any different or at all apparent.

Any thoughts before I put the car on stilts this weekend to check it out?
    Any issues of which one might be aware?

I just realize I should check the braces. The R59 has factory braces to keep the body stiff. I might as well check that out the link points.
    But if anyone has some ideas please chirp in!

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Recently had the same issue. Turned out to be a strut and mount. Parts are otw. I'll be swapping them out asap.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Do you have Sheldon Cooper locked under your hood? :lol: :lol:

Penny , Penny , Penny

4. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    We had that issue with the R56. Turned out that there was a loose bolt holding on that heat shield on the cat.

5. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Great to get some thoughts going. That will give me a few pointers to check things out. Too much snow today so both car are in the garage which leaves me no room to work. Maybe tomorrow.