Pre Migration No "Edit" Button

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by oldbrokenwind, Nov 26, 2016.

1. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Discovered I have a bad link in the 1st line of post #1 of this thread --- http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s-clubman-s-engine-and-drivetrain/28304-baddest-deadest.html but there's no "Edit" button available for me to use. My other posts in this thread have an "Edit" button. This is the link that should be there. http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/member-garages/15303-2007-mini-mcs.html Please either replace the old link with the new one, or fix whatever I did wrong so I can replace it myself.

Maybe let me know how I screwed it up to lose the button --- PM or post it here?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's because it was posted in August. ( 3 months ago)

I think they are on editable for a week or two after you post.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Dave.0 is right but I think it's a month, can't remember right now.

I swapped the link for you though.

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Two thumbs up for Steve !! :Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

5. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    First, I want to thank Steve for changing my link --- I'm sorry if it caused any inconvenience.

Next, I want to be a bit critical of this "limited edit button" feature. There's probably a good reason for it --- from an admin point-of-view, however, from an OP perspective, there's this inability to correct mistakes that cause grief for other viewers. There are some members whose posts I refuse to read --- too much grief.

Then, there's the fact that the specified post in the original link is a "stand-alone" post, not a starting point to view a different thread. For most links, this is probably acceptable, just not when linking to another MA thread --- I'd like to be able to follow up on the link.

And, when there's info in an early post of a very long thread, that needs to be updated, the OP can't do it --- i.e., a mod list that gets changed, or a vendor that goes out of business, and my original choice of links to use.

I don't expect changes to site SOP's, I just want to vent my frustration with some of the "inconveniences" I'm experiencing. I have similar grief with other Mini-related sites --- small differences in the way each operates. I prefer to have other, non-internet things clutter my memory.

Getting old is a b1tch!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Blah Blah Blah My inconveniences is you crying about a 3 month old post.

Just add your update to the END of the tread.

Get over it or move on.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  8. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Interesting thread --- I was pretty sure there would be a legitimate reason. Thanx for the info.