Welcome to Motoring Alliance (updated 9/15/12)

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Nathan, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome

Your guide to getting around Motoring Alliance | links, advice and directions.

Whether this is your first time to Motoring Alliance, or simply your first time reading this welcome message, allow us to take this opportunity to thank you for joining. Our goal here is to build an evolutionary community, one where everyone feels welcome, information is shared freely, and friendliness and respect are coveted and rewarded.

To help guide you through this new environment, we've compiled the following list of tips and advice:

1. Complete Your Garage

When we meet other MINI owners in person the first thing most of us normally do is introduce ourselves and our MINI. One of the best ways to offer a polite introduction on Motoring Alliance is by completing your Garage and posting a little about you in the Starting Line.

While you certainly aren't expected to provide every detail, your fellow Motoring Alliance members would greatly appreciate knowing a bit about you and your MINI.

2.Search and Likes

The Search tab at the top right of every page provides some additional features you might not be used to. Directly from within the box you can select to search for keywords in the titles of threads, posts contributed by a specified member, and posts that are newer than a specified date. Once you find a thread on a topic of interest, you will also want to pay attention to the posts that are "liked" in that thread. Likes will be your guide to the most valuable answers/contributions.

3. Like It

When you read a post that contains good advice, is helpful, or just plain adds value to the community - 'Like it.' By liking posts and being generous with your likes, you will be doing other members a favor, both those members whose posts you liked and those who are seeking guidance to the best information.

4. Ask Questions

Sometimes, no matter how hard you search, you just can't find what you are looking for. At Motoring Alliance you will find a community of members who welcome your questions (and the chance to earn your likes). If you have a question about any topic, no matter how basic, please don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help.

5. Be Descriptive With Your Thread Titles

When you start a new topic, be as specific as possible in your topic title. Giving your thread topic a good title will encourage other members to read your thread and respond.

6. Patience and Gentle Encouragement Are Both Virtues

It's very likely that, as Motoring Alliance grows, most of the questions you post will receive rapid replies. And, in those cases where the replies aren't coming as fast as you'd hoped, here's a tip that will get you better results than if you simply re-posted the question in a different forum: Add an additional post to your thread. Adding additional information helps others prepare specific answers and will bring your question to the top of the page for those that might have missed it before.

7. Be Open-Minded

Asking for advice from people you don't know may seem intimidating at first, but feel free to post and talk about anything related to the topic of MINIs and you'll be sure to have instant conversations. Of course, because Motoring Alliance is made up of members from all over the world and with different perspectives, these conversations likely won't always trend the way you hoped. When this inevitably happens, try to keep in mind this mantra, "The more points of view, the better," and do your best to refrain from reacting and or escalating. As has been said many times in many online communities, if you don't feed the trolls you will have fewer trolls.

And that brings us back to the central theme of Motoring Alliance - friendliness. Everyone who participates in this community should be here to learn, to share, to encourage, to support and to respect one another. That, and MINI, is what Motoring Alliance is all about.

We welcome your participation and look forward to your joining us in the community. Whether you have questions, answers, or both, it is all valuable to the community as a whole.

And with that, we say good posting, have fun and welcome to everyone.

2. Montana Miniac

Montana Miniac New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello to all you fellow motor heads. I'm always looking for or sharing information about Minis, and more specifically R53's. I own a 2002 MCS. Over the years, I have auto crossed my S in SCCA in the "G Stock class". Now retired, I am no longer a active "weekend warrior", but still seek some fun with my car. I have added a few mods to pep up the little bugger, and plan to join in on some Mini group doings in 2017. I look forward to being a Alliance member and sharing with the rest of you.
    Jim Davis

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance !!

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

We are here to help out whenever we can and welcome new members. Can you share any pics of you and your ride? :cornut:

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Welcome and we all love pictures. :ihih:

6. zoomie

zoomie New Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Maryland
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all.. love my 2002 MCS.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5

9. uke

uke New Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Software Engineer
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello MA World!

I've been on minif56.com for a couple of years, but I've lurked here and found the forum informative and useful. Thought I'd up my fanboy game and join MA.

Started with a 2010 R56 S. Added a JCW tune. Loved the car. Blew the engine. MINI comped me an engine so in gratitude I bought an F56 S, with Sports Suspension and not much else. Love the car, but it just isn't quite there.

Pulled the trigger on a 2017 JCW hardtop. It's on the ship creeping across the Atlantic as we speak. This time around I went ahead and specced more options since I have spent the last 2 years trying to figure out how to retrofit all the cool stuff without letting some ape attack my car with his angle grinder. Important option, 18" wheels.

But most important, I'm having the dealer install the JCW Pro coilovers and the NM engineering 25mm rear sway bar. (this mostly thanks to @Ryephile's awesome unboxing thread). When I take delivery it will be about 1" lower and a wee bit more go-karty. Planning a NM tune once the car is run in.

I love MINI, all years and models. The community of MINI fans is awesome.

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

12. Laserbluer56

Laserbluer56 New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all. I have an r56 JCW Laser blue as my handle says lol. I love my car and the culture that follows. I've browsed on here very frequently and just figured I would join. Thanks for being awesome, miniacs.

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the interweb !!

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

16. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA!

17. wooogirlem

wooogirlem New Member

May 3, 2017
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bought my used Mini Convertible earlier this year; looking forward to this site to learn more about the car(s).

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

What year and model [S or Cooper]? Also, any additional info is appreciated, as well as pics. :biggrin5:

19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5

20. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Welcome to MA! Would love to see some pictures.