New Guy

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by MINIALEX, Oct 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MINIALEX

MINIALEX New Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm trying to find the perfect first car for myself (first that I will have paid for). I've been looking at the FRS/BRZ twins (love the thought of a coupe, but I think the power wheel jeep I had as a kid had more trq), the ST siblings, and the GTI. I hadn't really considered MINIs before because it seemed like all I ever saw driving them were women and old people, but after doing some research I think this might have just been an anomaly in my area of Ohio. Really looking forward to learning more about these cars and hopefully finding one that screams "BUY ME".

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

Where are you in Ohio? The Columbus meets for donuts this Saturday at the Tim Horton's in New Albany off 161 at 8:30 ish

We are always happy to talk about MINIs and give advice. I went before I bought mine and was warmly welcomed.

Also there is a great looking MINI Coupe for sale by one of our guys. You'll see it posted Dark Helmet. It's a great car if it's in your budget.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #4 Dave.0, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry about the "look" because of the drivers you see. For 8 years I drove a 1994 Mazda Miata NA. The Miata was ALWAYS called a girlie car by some. For one thing it really wasn't, and for another who cares? It's almost like those who tell you that your haircut looks stupid or some such derogatory comment. Decades ago, someone coined the phrase, "If it feels good, do it". The same goes for your car. "If you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks?"

6. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    #6 M1N1, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    Welcome. Just my .02 cents, but go for an "05/'06 Chili Red R50 or R53. Nothing screams "buy me" like Chili Red. :cool:

When I bought mine, I wasn't even looking for a Coop. I used to be a dedicated VW guy, heavily into the MK1 GTI scene when I still lived in England. I was actually looking for a Jetta or Passat to replace my worn out Jetta. I test drove a lot of Jetta's and Passat's, but found them boring. I gave it one more chance, and went to see a used Jetta at a dealer in Toledo (not MINI). When I got there I couldn't find the Jetta in a sea of lookalike, generic cars. But an '07 Chili Red R50 stood out above the dross. I missed out on that MINI by about 20 mins, the guy who bought it was doing the loan paperwork as I checked out the Coop. The bug had bitten, though, and the hunt was on. Eventually got an '06 Cooper in mint condition.

Good luck with you search. Nothing will put a bigger smile on your face than a MINI.

7. MINIALEX

MINIALEX New Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am in Columbus. With it being Homecoming this weekend at OSU, my calendar is pretty booked, maybe some other time.

I have seen the pics of that car, might need to check it out.

I'm not concerned with the "look", just wasn't sure if there were actually people my age that are into MINIs locally (I'm 20).

Not a fan of Chili Red, nice color but too predictable when it comes to MINIs.

8. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Not a fan of Chili Red, nice color but too predictable when it comes to MINIs.[/QUOTE]

Not a colour that everyone likes, for sure, but my advice on a late model Gen 1 still stands as a first MINI.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0

Now that there is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.:) I'm an old fart & I drink beer. Are you going to stop drinking beer because old folks drink it?:smilewinkgrin:

Buy what you like & don't worry about what others drive or think of what you drive. My other car is a Miata! MINIs are an absolute hoot to drive. I know a BRZ or GTI would be a fun car I like them too. I have seat time in a GTI & while a fine fun car it is missing that something my MINI has. Drive all 3 & see what you think. If you are worried about being seen in an old persons car just tint the windows real dark.

Welcome to M/A, come on over to the donut munch & kick some tires with us. We are all car guys & like many different cars. I'm sure most everyone at OSU is sleeping at the donut munch time. You could come & be back before anyone knows you're gone.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

11. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! My best friend drives an FR-S and is having major issues with his car. He's on this forum so I'll let him elaborate...

Around here (central Valley & Bay Area California), I see mainly women driving Justas and men driving S's/JCW's (age is all over the board). Kind of interesting, I think.

12. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Full-time Military, part-time headbanger
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A. I currently have a 2013 FR-S that I took delivery of in January of this year (brand new). There are a whole slew of issues with the Toybaru Twins you may want to be aware of and actually look into before you decide to go that route.

First, let me start with the pro's. There's no denying the car is drop dead sexy. It's gorgeous. And despite the reviews you may have seen or heard, this car is no joke off the line or in the twisties. It does suffer from a bit of a lack of torque overall, and takes a certain finesse to drive at its optimal level, but I can promise you that if you have any professional driving experience at all, this car will not fail to produce smiles on your face.

Now it's time for the cons, and I really think you should strongly consider these, as I not only have the car in question, but hundreds of thousands of miles of driving under my belt as well as years of professional driver's training. I'm not going to be the only answer, but I am here and available for your questions.
    There is a nasty mapping issue with the car. That said, if you decide you want to drive the car at WOT constantly, I can assure you the car will live up to the reviewer's comments that it is a torqueless and under-powered pig. There's a sweet spot in the acceleration that you have to find on your own, and it definitely isn't at WOT. This is the least of the car's problems.
    The fuel pump that Toyota used is a High Pressure Fuel Pump, located on the driver's side under the hood. This pump makes the most obnoxious chirping noise while idling that is common to the Twins. Toyota has no fix for this, nor have they made any attempts to R&D the problem. Many have tried to fix the issue, and so far, the success rate is 0%. This isn't golf, so that's not exactly a good number. Many that can't deal with the noise have traded in their vehicle. I have posted a YouTube video link at the bottom of this that I think you need to watch to help you decide if it's something you can deal with. The video is of my personal FR-S, not some random YouTube video I found.
    Another major problem with the car is the gearbox is extremely sloppy. What I mean by that is there are plenty of times where I have to actually fight the car to go into gear at a stop. I have had 20 something vehicles so far, and all but 4 have been manual transmission vehicles. Since I have never had to replace a clutch or transmission outside of its normal wear and tear breakdown, it's definitely not me nor my driving style that is causing this issue. In fact, I had the vehicle in the shop after only having it three weeks because I wanted the transmission looked at. I was told this was a characteristic of the car.
    There are several other issues owners have had with the car that I have not yet experience, such as condensation in the lights and interior issues. I can only touch on the issues I have had, but since fuel pumps and transmissions are fairly pricey, I figured you might want to know of these before you dive in. It isn't worth it, no matter how good a car looks. So I am planning to move from an FR-S to a Mini because the Mini can beat my car up in the corners and is much more reliable.

Watch "FR-S Chirping Noise" on YouTube
    FR-S Chirping Noise: [ame=http://youtu.be/pG_7ZUtVoq8]FR-S Chirping Noise - YouTube[/ame]

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

14. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A.
    If you have not already done so, I suggest you take a spirited drive with an owner that will also let you drive to feel the car for yourself. Everyone that has gone with me for a drive and driven my car then wants a Mini. However, a new Mini optioned nicely (such as JCW) is more expensive than a BRZ/FRS or GTI.

I have driven a GTI a few times. It is very fun to drive and more refined than a Mini but lacks the fun found in a Mini (at least a Gen 1 MCS). I have a couple friends with BRZs but have not driven one. I have Auto-Xed against BRZ/FRS and the Mini always wins. The BRZ/FRS just need a little more power and torque to be on my wish list.

15. MINIALEX

MINIALEX New Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the comments. We are going to go visit some friends in Cali in a couple of weeks and one of them has a BRZ, so hopefully I can talk them in to a drive. I do really like the looks of them and it is good to know that maybe some of the reviews are a little overstated, but it is good to know about the issues that you have experienced Code3. I need to find time to get out and look at some of the other cars on my list. I'll keep poking around and will probably ask more questions as I work through my options (have started the same type of threads on some other forums).

16. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    There are a number of younger people getting into MINIs now because used ones have gotten down to a reasonable price. Our group may not all be in the 20s (some are) age wise but mentally a number of us still are. :cornut:

17. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Trim your choices to either an R53 or a Miata ND, nothing else.:D

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1

I appreciate your support for the sale of my Coupe. :)

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    An ND Miata is an interesting suggestion. It is almost vapor ware. Can't test drive one or even look at one until next year.

You can buy Dark Helmet NOW! :yesnod:

20. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Forget the R53 & Miata ND. Get this!:Thumbsup: