Looking at a 2009 convert tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by New2Mini, Mar 24, 2017.

1. New2Mini

New2Mini New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    County
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 New2Mini, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Hello all I'm new to MA. Found this site while researching mini's from various other sites.

I am excited and nervous because tomorrow I am going to look at a 2009 mini coop base automatic convert with 34k miles. I have researched this car for over a month, took a few on a test drive, and it is calling my NAME!!

I've looked at many posts stating that they are a pain of a car to have. My dad is telling me that they aren't good cars and is urging me NOT to purchase one. I just want a fun car, it will "probably" not be my full time car. (Can't make any promises)

So my wants says GET IT, my needs say you can wait, my brain...well its being super analytical. Hahaha.

Should I be concerned about the low mileage. I looked at bimmer.Com and it shows its 09 with n12 engine? Carfax isn't showing much on the service/oil change side. So that naturally worries me.

Sorry for the long post...any input you can pass along about "to purchase" or "to NOT purchase" would be helpful.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The base Cooper engine has proven more reliable that the turbo S engine. Take it to a reputable mechanic & have it looked over before you buy. If you let us know where you live we may be able to point you to a reputable MINI mechanic.

I'd guess the low miles are due to it being a 3rd car that was just a toy. Be aware that you can not ignore maintenance on these cars. Oil changes every 5,000 miles with synthetic oil & OEM filters. I would have the transmission fluid changed if you get it. These are fun cars, but require more upkeep that what you may be used to.

Good luck & welcome to M/A.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

What Chuck said about the MINI is true, but it won't break your bank if you keep it maintained. 34k is not a lot of miles for an 8 year old car. Your dad appears to believe the Consumer Reports garbage about MINI not being reliable. If that's so, then why do I have 3 MINIs that are regularly driven? All cars break down now and then, but maintenance will keep them on the road longer and without qualms about reliability.

I have 2 MCS automatics and one MC cvt. The MCS automatics have NEVER given me a problem...70k [bought used in 2012] and 120 k [bought new in 2006]. The Cooper was bought used in 2004 and has 66k. The cvt tranny gave out at 60k and I replaced it [BMW has replaced ALL the cvt trannies with automatics during Generation 2]. The MINI you are checking out has the same automatic I have in my 2 MCSes, so you need not worry about cvt woes.

All the above said, good luck and happy motoring!

4. New2Mini

New2Mini New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    County
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the responses.

We are in the Smyrna Ga, im hopine there is a good dealer nearby. Showed this thread to hubby and I think its a releief to see something decent about these cars. It's a really nice car, we are negotiating pricing now. The only concern was the bar that covers the motor to drop the top was missing on the inside.

Thanks guys!

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Good luck on your quest and Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the interweb !!

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Is Smyrna, GA, anywhere near Fontana Village, NC? If so, there is a HUGE MINI event there the first week in May. So far, at least 400 MINIs/Minis have registered and many more come that do not register. It's a great place to see and learn all things MINI.

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Is Smyrna, GA, anywhere near Fontana Village, NC? If so, there is a HUGE MINI event there the first week in May. So far, at least 400 MINIs/Minis have registered and many more come that do not register. It's a great place to see and learn all things MINI. The event, Minis on the Dragon, is held every first May of the year. There are great roads to drive, nice people to meet and lasting friendships to be made there. Hopefully, you will make the trip.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

9. New2Mini

New2Mini New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    County
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

I see it's about 3 hrs away. Not too bad of a drive. Sounds like something fun to do

Thanks for the welcome.

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Be aware there are LOTS of serious curves and switchbacks, ok? If you are a beginner, moderation IS the key. Check your pads and brake fluid, as well as the condition of your tires. Most important of all, STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE!

Even so, it's pretty fun and lots of people drive there...especially during Minis on the Dragon [www.minisonthedragon.com].

I hope you come up and show us all your new ride as you introduce yourself. :Thumbsup:

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Good luck on getting the MINI!