R53 issues

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Dajesus, May 28, 2017.

1. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's up guys and gals just picked up a nicely modded R53. Drive the car 75 miles home from the person I bought it from perfectly not a problem as soon as I made it back home boom problems problems and more problems. Now let me start by saying I already am a R56 owner and love that car hence when getting the chance to get an R53 I jumped at it but different engine size and different car has me lost.

Back to the story so I got back home and the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree and the car started over heating in the matter of seconds. Come to find out the serpentine belt was completely destroyed. Now I replaced the belt flushed he engine and changed the oil and it started running a ton better for a good 30 mins when out of no where it died and then when it would start it would be in limp mode and not go over 2000rpms. Now the R53 has a 15% supercharger pulley and a ATI super dampener.

Longer story short the belt I've replace continues to move about 1-2mm off the idler pulley when I turn the car on and I can see that the belt is wearing out already. Idk what to do. Has this happened to anyone before.

Thanks for any and all help. Cheers

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Most people are on vacation/ holiday weekend but I would say one if your pulleys is not lined up correctly causing the belt to move and destroy itself.

3. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dave.O you were one of the guys I was hoping would answer. I'm not sure what pulley could be off. I may have to get a new idler pulley and go from there because that's the pulley that the belt moves on

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Did you get the shorter belt for the 15% pulley? I would change the belt tensioner and idler pulley. Dave is correct check tho make sure all the pulleys line up. What brand SC pulley do you have? Make sure that it is not slipping on the shaft or has moved out. Alta have been know to do just that.

5. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mcs02 thanks for the reply.

The issue is the work for the pulleys was all previously done before I got the R53 so brand I wouldn't know also the previous owner said he had changed all the pulleys and tensioner and belt about 2 months ago but idk how true that is.

And in terms of the belt I believe I got the right one the first belt I bought was the wrong one but I bought the right one the next day and still same issue with the belt moving about a mm off the idler pulley and the new belt has the wear marks to prove it

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    the proper belt is the Gates K060535. If you are sure all the pulleys line up then posable one is lose and moving once tension is put on it. I would remove the belt and make sure all the pulleys are tight. make sure your alternator bearings sound and feel ok, small chance it is going bad and causing the problem, but I would think you would hear it if it was that bad. The previous owner may have lost track of time and perhaps it has been longer. The new tensioner or idler pulley could have been bad, when I work on cars more then once I had a new part be bad. Don't assume anything is good. last thing is make sure the belt is on correctly, although I don't think it can be put on wrong. If it could I would have done it by now. I know you may already know most of this, I am only trying to cover all bases.

Attached Files:

7. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mcs02 yeah I checked everything on that side of the car that I could think of it could in all actuality be the belt but the idler pulley has a little play back and forth but no audible noise comes of it.

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    If you can get a straight edge down alongside the the ends of the pulleys, you will be able to tell if one is out of the plane formed by the other pulleys. That pulley will be the culprit.

9. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply dneprdave

Yeah I'm gunna take a look when the rain settles down. It was coming down earlier in jersey

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I know you hates Alta & one Alta not buy one. That being said in 2006 I indeed did put an Alta 15% pulley on my MINI. 123,000 trouble free miles from it & I'm sure the present owner is adding to the mileage total even as I two finger type this. I replaced the crank pulley with an ATI along with idler & tensioner, plus a new belt. Same Alta pulley all those years & miles. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

11. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well on an update drove the car for two days no problems but today now the car is shot and won't even turn on. Thought it was the battery but it's fine.

I have no clue as what it could be. All the dash lights are up don't kno

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Did you do a load test on the battery or just put a meter on it? Check the bolt under the + next to the air cleaner, this has been known to cause problems. And lastly as you know check all your connections and grounds, make sure they are clean and tight. Also it seems like a long time ago someone had an bad alternator that caused all sorts of electric problems. Maybe someone here can remember. BMW/MIN are really picky about power.

Did you get your belt to run true? If so what was causing the problem?

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #14 Dave.0, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Also check the ground on the passenger side by the upper motor mount. You will see it going from the mount to the frame below, it's only about 8 inches long.

[​IMG]

14. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys on an update charged the battery and it's running fine again not totally sure what the issue is but Im going to run the car to see any codes come up and the issue with the pulley is still there so I'm gunna see if I can get another idler pulley on soon

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you are still on the old OEM battery get a new one. If you power steering dies it means your Alternator is going. :idea:

Yeah I have been down that road before. :ihih:

16. Dajesus

Dajesus New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The battery actually looks brand new but from sitting and no use idk plus the car is on a air loft suspension so that requires little more juice from the battery. My thing is I tried the old trick of pulling off the terminals after the car started to see if the alternator was bad but it's seems fine the power steer now that mention it is a little tough I figured in was the just the way the car was. Mayb I should replace the system?