Greetings from AR

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by xulf13, Jul 3, 2017.

1. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, here we go. Hello y'all!
    So I've been roaming this forum for a couple of months, just reading and learning and decided to sign up... hope to be able to contribute down the road.

Ok enough of that.

I bought my 2005 with all the 2004 features about 4 months ago now. It's got 252,xxx miles. Yes a lot of miles, but the car runs fairly good for its age and mileage. It's my first mini and I think it's an awesome little car. From the records and info passed down to me, this car has had a lot of the usual recalled stuff replaced already, even the manual transmission was replaced for some reason a while back.

It's got the usual carrying baring slight rattle sound at idle until you depress the clutch. I will eventually get that fixed along with the clutch and a few other things when I get to split the tranny from the engine.

From looking at the door info it says it was made in late 2004 can't remember the month right now. But the tittle days 2005. All the features look like 2004 to me though.

The engine pulls strong and the car handles amazing. However I think I will replace a few suspension parts down the road as well.

The car had the usual wear and tear when I first bought it. Chipped paint all over the hood and faded and scratched all over. I can't complain too much I only paid $2k for it and then I had it re painted within 3 weeks to spruce it up a bit. Got the windows tinted as well and fixed some other cosmetics.

I need to eventually reupholster the drivers seat and the roof liner. Roof liner I can do myself, the seat upholstery I think I'll pay.

So far, I have a few dislikes but most of all I like the car a lot and think it's so unique in my part of town and love the way it handles.

Dislikes: the car gets dirty really fast, specially the rear , maybe because there is no quarter panel to keep the dirt/dust from kicking up?

Also, the car seems to catch just about every little nick and rock off the highway. I have to stay far away from big rigs and trucks. I already have a few chips on my new paint job and chips and a crack on my windshield

The famous tighten gas cap light sets off randomly, even though I have a new cap.

Oh well, other than that I like it almost as much as my motorcycles, and it gets compliments almost everywhere I go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah I also installed hear LED tail lights to replace the dulled out ones that came with. I also covered some trim pieces in the interior and exterior with some carbon fiber vinyl.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

3. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A big welcome to MA from Wisconsin!!

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Welcome.

Yes, unfortunately because of the very upright nature of the front and the windshield MINIs are more prone to pick-up rock chips and have cracked wishields.

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

Nice-looking R50!

I pretty much solved my rock chip problems by having a Clear Bra[or similar] installed on the bonnet. I also have Expel headlight protectors. You have a good-looking car, in spite of its age and miles.

Enjoy it and, again, WELCOME!

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    ARR matey! You be at the finest MINI site in the seven seas!

With your thread title, I couldn't resist the pirate talk.

Plus one on the Clearbra and headlight protectors, they've save the front end of my MINI.

7. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm greetings y'all. I really enjoy this site. I am a DYI'er and do almost everything I can. I tried installing the clear bra myself and failed at it. I don't know if it was the brand or type of vinyl I bought. I may give it one more chance, otherwise I will start looking for a place that will install it. I hadn't heard of the head light protectors though. Good tip! I'll look into those. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to post up more pics of little things I've done and or do.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the interweb !!

9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Welcome to MA, great looking car especially for the miles. +1 on the clear bra and headlight protectors. Only way to really keep it clean. Obviously you will want to make sure it's really clean before putting it on. No way to clean under the clear bra once done.

Love having another DIY person on the site. Can't wait to see what you do to it. Are you planning any mods? :D

10. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the welcome Sully. When I first tried to install the clear vinyl bra I couldn't get the air bubbles out. I think I need to watch a few more how to videos and try again.

At the moment I am mostly changing a fee little things here and there. Ive replaced the stock antenna for a 4" in size instead, I've done some maintenance and changed plugs and wipers, nothing great.

Next week I plan to replace the stock air filter box and install a cold air intake and make a L shaped wall to keep the engine heat away. Then I plan to remove the intake resonator and re route the stock air piping with less restriction so that cool air actually gets to the air filter.

When I do the head liner I plan to use plaid material probably a gray black white combination.

On the interior I've so far added carbon fiber vinyl to the Colin's next to the stereo and around the shifter ring trim and the mini cup holder.

I might do a cat back exhaust down the road after I replace center bearing between the clutch plate and flywheel along with he engine seal since I am leaking oil from there.

I'd like aftermarket wheels but I'm ok with these stock ones.

Eventually I'd like to get an 08 or newer type S and really do some engine upgrades.

The one thing I love about the mini is how sweet and shapely they look. Most people are surprised at how much room is inside.
    Of course the rear seat is a joke. It's alright for kids, but that's about it, lol

11. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You're in the right place. Will we see you at MITO this year?
    To really enjoy those roads in AR you'll appreciate a heavier rear adjustable sway bar and a set of better performance struts.

12. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    An aftermarket cold air intake will not give you more horsepower, only more noise and most likely less horsepower.
    The stock air intake is a real cold air intake and is very well engineered.

Save your money and buy a mod that will actually do some good.

13. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net.............:cool:

14. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This can and has been debated I am sure.
    However, my stock box is falling apart and barely holding the stock air filter in place.

Rather then spend a lot of money for an OEM box I thought I'd build a heat shield plate, remove the resonator and install a CAI for less cost than a new plastic box.

Aside from that, I like noise, and I'll be sure to add some nice decals to my rear window to add any HP I'd lose by doing this mod.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    What part of Arkansas? And you really admit you live there? :D

Sorry I can't help myself. I know it's hard to look across the river and see Tennessee and wish AR could be as nice.:lol::lol: but you always have Mississippi to make Arkansas look better.:lol::lol:

16. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it has been debated and the OEM cold air intake won decisively.

I looked into it as I was considering an aftermarket cold air intake.
    After considerable research I found that most aftermarket cold air intakes actually reduce horsepower, the better ones just make more noise but do not increase horsepower.

Get a used OEM air intake and put a free flowing air filter in it, that's your best option.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
  18. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hahaha, good one! I usually just tell people I live West of Tennessee to make it bearable.

I live in Benton, which is west of Little Rock, where I commute to for work daily.
    I lived in NC for 7 years prior

Aside from Little Rock, AR is not so bad and it depends on what you like to do. However I agree that it's nicer in other states, but it could be worse. I think

Are you also in AR?

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    No I'm in Memphis.

20. xulf13

xulf13 New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

First time I hear of this, though I rather be riding my motorcycle thru the Ozarks, I will consider it. Thanks for the heads up.