Mini Cooper Decals

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by skmini, Aug 1, 2017.

1. skmini

skmini New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm super new to forum posts, but I have owned a Mini since 2013 and I love love love the community surrounding the car and the company. So I'm really excited to be apart of this group! :)

I did have a quick question though for the Mini Experts out there. I was looking at another 2013 Mini with a hood decal, that I'm not really a fan of, and was thinking about having it removed. The decal itself has a lot of sun damage to it, with the color fading away. I was wondering, is there a good possibility that if I remove that decal, that hood would be miscolored from the sun not hitting the covered paint behind the decal? I really wanted to reach out because I'm hearing mixed reviews about what the outcome might be after removal.

Thank you so much for your time and help!!

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

The only decals I have ever removed are on the hatch and rear windows of my cars. I use a razor blade on the windows for decal removal and a hair dryer on the hatch itself, with a lot of "Goo Gone" to help clean up the mess.

I did have a decal come off the hood of my S, kinda-sorta...LOL It was at speed, when the whole hood scoop flew off and was demolished by a wayyyyyy too closely following semi!:nonod:

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I have removed the flag decal off the top of my roof twice. It was hard work and took a long time. But you are only doing the stripes. My roof is white so you can't see any fading. Once you get the stripes off you may be able to buff it out. I doubt it has faded too mush but that really depends on the climate you live in and how much time it spends out side. To get my flag off I used a heat gun, be careful with it you can bern the paint, a plastic scraper and Goo Gone. Just take your time and be careful. Do not get the paint too hot.
    If the paint is to faded then you can always put stripes back on.

Welcome to MA!

4. Sup3rN0va

Sup3rN0va New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New to Motoring Alliance, but on MINI number two. My last one I owned for 7 years, a 2010 and he always had stripes on until I traded him in. They had to remove them and even 5 years of Texas sun and 2 of North Carolina humidity and salt with no garage didn't cause a fade line from what they told me. You'll probably be okay. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

7. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I recommend using the 3M eraser wheel to remove decals. Used it to remove the 13 year old decals on my MC40 and it worked like a charm. After that I just buffed the area with a little polish and I couldn't see much fading even on the bright Chili Red.

I did apply new decals though anyway so the slight fade really didn't matter too much to me. There was no fade on the quarter panels when I removed those decals though. Go ahead and take them off.