looking for my first mini

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Rumblebee, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Rumblebee

Rumblebee New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello all, I am new to the forum and am not yet a mini owner, I have been considering joining the mini world for a while now and have recently sold my 77 Camaro and am thinking of my first mini purchase and am wondering what are the best years for a rally type racing /bracket racing type use? I would want it to be completely street legal and drivable and prefer the easier models to work on for some one who has always played with American muscle. I look forward to your help and insight, thanks !

2. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Welcome to MA!

Check out some of the rally build threads here: https://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/forum207/

Note - the photbucket issue is prevalent on those threads so you will need to use the Chrome extension to fix so you can see the pics. Let me know if your not familiar with that. (I hope to have this fixed by the time I migrate the site to the new platform on Nov 29th.

Personally, I've built a lot of things but a rally car is not one of them. I would image the car you would choose would be based on the regulations. What series are you looking to run?

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    #3 MCS02, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Welcome to MA!
    I have both a Gen 1 and 2 mini but the Gen 1 cars have a special place in my heart. Each gen is different, you really need to drive them to see the difference.
    Gen 1. They are very visceral, you will feel very connected to the road. You hear every thing, the road, the exhaust sound and on the S when you take it to red line the supercharger screams like a creature not meant for this world. Oh man just the thought makes me want to go take the mini for a ride. I have had my 2002 S for 13 years and its never gets old. The Gen 1 cars are also the easiest to Mod and the bottom end is as strong as an anvil. People put out big numbers and still have reliable cars. I believe Dave0 mini is 240 HP at the wheels, just for one.
    Gen2. The S are turbocharged. The are more refined then the gen one cars.The fit and finish of the interior is very nice, they are a little quieter. For instance the PS is electric and quiet, on the gen 1 its electric hydrolock and you can hear it. some Gen2 cars have N14 engines, these have some known problems but if you give them the attrition they need they are fine. The later ones have N18 these are more desirable. Gen 2 cars are a little harder to Mod the engine but you can get some big numbers from them too. By the way I dont mean muscle car big numbers.:D You still feel connected to the road but a little removed compared to the Gen1 but compared to any other car its a go cart too. My Gen2 car is a JCW coupe. I have had it only a few months. One of the guys did all the mods and I bought it from him. He did an out standing job. It was to be my daily driver but I just can't stand the thought of it sitting in parking lots in all sorts of weather and I can't part with my Gen1 car. My wife is an enabler. Driving it is a blast the suspension is dialed in just right. It sticks to the road like it is glued to it. It is fast with lots of torque.
    Gen3. They are small BMW and I mean that in a good way. Some dont like the looks some do but the S has a killer 2.0 engine. I have not driven one enough to give an opinion so I will let a Gen3 guy do that.

Minis handle great. They are meant for the tweety's so I would start with the suspension.

Be warned, this is an addiction. Once hooked there is no going back. But don't fear we are here to help spend your money

There is more and I have missed a lot but others will fill you in.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

For me, Generation One MINIs are the best of the best. I have 3. Two are 2006 R53s...one modded for track and twisty driving for me and the other is bone stock that my wife drives.The other MINI is a 2003 R50 that is lightly modded. Due to its rare color inside and out, I mostly drive it to car shows although it's been to the Dragon several times, too.

I prefer the interior layout of the Gen 1s to that of the newer generations...guess I'm too old to adapt. The R53 supercharged MCS, IMHO, just screams modability and reliability. Now that MINI is in yet another generation, Generation Ones are, like old American Iron favorites, pretty easy to come by.

5. Rumblebee

Rumblebee New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Generation breaks?

Thank you for the responses, my new question is what are the year breaks for 1st,2nd and 3rd gen? Sounds like first is probably the best for hotrod project? How about automatic vs. standard as far as reliability? Again thanks for any replies ... I'm just trying to learn

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

You’ve come to the right place, there’s actually a library with some of the information you want, and a whole bunch of helpful folks who will point you to the right place or just tell you. ;)

https://www.motoringalliance.com/library/all-about-mini-coopers-17/r--f-code-what-is-it-and-what-do-they-signify-7/

Here’s a link to the generations by year and the R-F codes (which is a shorthand for each generation).

Don’t worry though, we’ll help out.

Oh, and yes, once you’re hooked, it will stick with you.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    One thing for sure early gen1 autos were CVT STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY! Later ones had a better auto. But Manual all the way for me. The 6 speed manual in the S is bulletproof

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #8 wmwny, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    I always liked the smoothness of the 6 speed, but, as I got older and the hip started going, shifting got too painful so I tried out the auto when I bought my '06 MCSa almost 125k ago. It, too, has been a workhorse...a daily driver, Dragonslayer, weekend track car and just a fun experience all around. That automatic in my '06 MCS has never let me down.

I also have an '03 R50 with the CVT. I guess one might have a long relationship with the CVT if he/she "drove it like a Grandma on her way to church everyday". However, I didn't know the CVT was so fragile, so when I first bought the car, I modded it slightly and then tracked it, took it Dragonslaying and having fun with it at car shows. At just after 60k, the CVT died and I was faced with either selling the car with a bad transmission to some poor sucker or paying the BIG bucks for a replacement CVT. Since these days I mostly show the car, due to its rare exterior and interior colors, I got the CVT replaced with a remanufactuured one [you can't get a new one anymore...not even BMW has them]. BMW gave me a 2-year CVT warranty and basically told me to "drive it like I stole it" the next 2 years and then, settle back to a "granny to church" mode. That will be in June, 2018, but I plan to take it back to MOTD in May. It's STILL a fun car...nimble and quick, but not fast, gets good mileage, and even has a Jan tune. :ihih: :devil:

9. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I can't add anything to what's been said except...WELCOME to M/A, a great site and greater people.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M\A.

If you want a MINI you can work on get a 05-06 S or JCW just like everyone has been saying. Lots of aftermarket performance parts available and support.