The Many Features of Motoring Alliance

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Nathan, May 17, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Motoring Alliance has quite a few unique features. Some are quite nifty if you ask me...and some are meh...I'm still evaluating them. But since many of you have no idea these things even exist I thought I'd provide a run down. Look for How Do I... entries for some of these soon in the http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/how-do-i/510-list-how-do-i-items.html thread.

In order that they come to me...

How Do I... - Basic How To posts on how to use the many features found on Motoring Alliance. Ever growing and fed from your questions, so keep them coming please.

WheelFinder - DISABLED for now This is a search tool created by you for you. Enter the data for your wheels in the intuitive interface to share with community. Browse and Search enabled, In time this will be a very valuable tool for the entire MINI community.

Wheel Rack DISABLE for now - Place to store your data and images used to build the WheelFinder. Allows for 10 sets with permissions upon request for more. However, that will move to the illustrious Wheel Whore user group.

Library - Library - Motoring Alliance has a library of How -To's, Product Reviews, Detailing methods and tips, MINI ephemera, Motorsports and Theory type White Papers. All members are encouraged to submit articles and there will be a How Do I... for that soon. I'm also in talks with partnering with some other MINI sites to share and grow the Library. This means things you submit will be shared around the MINI community.

Clubs Listing - Motoring Alliance - Club Directory - MINI clubs from all over have been adding themselves to the Club Directory. Some of you may recognize the product from "that other site". Since it's inception there the product has been updated and enhanced. Please feel free to add your Club via Motoring Alliance - Club Registration Motoring Alliance will provide, if desired, forum space, classifieds and a calendar for your club. The calendar allows for event listings along with an enhanced RSVP system. Contact me if your club has it's own site running vBulletin, I'll gladly share the RSVP system. Even if your club has a site hosted elsewhere please add a listing, Motoring Alliance will provide a direct link.

Media Embedding - Many of you have probably seen how easy it is to add a video directly into your posts. M/A is not hosting the video, it's a link to the source wrapped in the framework of the site that plays the media directly in the post. If the media type is supported, and about 200 different kinds are, all you to do is enter the URL in a post, the tool will automagicly convert and display the media. Besides video, audio files can be embedded as well. Please use discretion when posting these file links and place a NSFW notice if there is questionable content.

Image Resizing - Large images are resized to fit within the framework of the forums. This prevents you from having to scroll sideways to keep reading a post when someone adds a large image. All the resized images are viewable in their full glory by simply clicking on the image. It will be displayed as large as possible within the framework of the window.

Quick Editor Customization - Found in your Control Panel (UserCP) is a tool that allows you customize the items in your quick edit box. Add or remove items you desire.

There are a lot of other little things I've included that are more back end management or to help control the look and feel of the site that need no explanation on how to use.

Coming Soon...

New Gallery - Ugghh..the current gallery product looked good on paper, to bad I could not try it out before buying. There will be a new and improved Gallery product installed soon. I promise brighter colors, whiter whites and more value for less money...hey wait the site is free anyway...keep your eyes peeled for that change.

Garages - NOW IN PLACE The crew is manning the bulldozers and clearing bytes as we speak to make room for everyone to have their own individual Garage space. More details to follow.

Sponsor Directory - NOW IN PLACE Still in development is a tool that is useful for both members and our sponsor partners. Look for it very soon.

I am open to adding items you feel are needed. Please contact me with a wish list and if I can and other things are not broken by the addition then I'll look to add them to the site.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Update 7/8/09

New Gallery - This has been in place for some time now and it's great to see people making use of it. Plenty of storage and hot linking to other sites is allowed.

Sponsor Directory - In place and mostly operational. This is still beta software so some of the functions are not fully operational as of yet. There are some nifty tools for the sponsors built in and initial reports indicate they do like these features.

Badge ShowCase - Much like the WheelFinder there is now a way to display your badge collection. Thanks to Mishka for working with me on the data model and beta tests. It is now fully open to all. For those of you needing more space please let me know.

Still Working On:

Garages - I'm still trying to determine the best tool for this. Once that has been decided data modeling will start. I'll be looking for beta testers, please contact me if interested. Hope to have this fully functional by the end of July.

As always, if there is something you would like to see let me know and I'll see about how it can be added.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Update 7/18/09

Garages - Garages are now available, each registered member has 3 slots. To add a vehicle to your Garage simply navigate to the UserCP and look for the section called My Garage.

Invite a Friend - Located in the Main Menu on the left side of each page is the Invite a Friend tool. Try it out and invite a few friends to become Motoring Alliance Members/ Run out of invites, PM me for more.

Still Working On

Sponsor Tools - The software that runs the Sponsor Directory also has some nifty features for the sponsors. The site is currently running a beta version. We've identified some areas that need some work and will be hitting those quite soon.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Time for an update....

Sponsor Tools - In place and running. Those that are availing themselves of the features are very happy with it.

Roaming Threads - Post an image to the site via a Mobile Device.

Tapatalk - App for iPhone users to use the site. Much faster and easier than browsing in Safari. Delivers a lightweight version of the site. Not all features of M/A are accessible. Great for keeping up with threads and quick replies.

5. Lilredscoot

Lilredscoot New Member

May 12, 2009
    Jackson MS.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just saw this!!!!Very informative.. Thanks Nathan for all your work on this site.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Time for a new update...

Garages - Revamped the product. Thumbnail sizes are now larger. There is also now a views counter and a Browse Most Popular option.

Working On

Reviews - A true product and services review section.

Also working on updating the Wheel Finder and Badges area to make them even more useful.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Nice job Nathan:cornut:

Ahhhhh........ Can I have my garage floor painted with the MINI logo? Air conditioning would also be nice!:lol::lol::lol:

Great Forum :yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

8. vargasgal

vargasgal Club Coordinator

May 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Club Tools

Have you added any new club tools lately? I remember getting an email many months ago that I thought mentioned being able to create a home page.

Thanks!

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If I remember that was the ability for a club to have a forum area of their own. I'll look into what it would take for a Club to have a dedicated static page and be able to manage it on their own. However, it would have an address such as http://www.motoringalliance.com/yourclubname. Is that acceptable. (PM Me to discuss please)

As to updates to the Club software we have made some major changes in the product we sell to others. But it is for a the newer vBulletin 4.0 branch. We may back the changes into the version that this site uses but are unsure at this time.

10. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the list very helpful.