Suspension Brakes New Springs Feel Great

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by mrminimmel, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I raced over to pick up my car today after having new NM springs, IE fixed camber plates and an alignment done. Wow!!!! I like it. Tonight when I came to the freeway and left a motorcyclist in the rearview mirror I knew I was going to enjoy the new cornering ability. Just after the next entrance ramp I got so lucky that the highway patrolman I had pulled out in front of, accelerated way over the posted and then slowed to just 15 over, he had something more important to do. He just flashed his lights and then moved on past-Whew.
    I'm going to try the nearby twisties this weekend. Should I bump the rear sway bar to the stiffest setting or leave it at medium? And how much difference would an NM sway bar in front create?

2. HRM

HRM New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    No bar in front needed. I think the best thing to do is leave the bar where it is for a bunch of miles. Notice all handling characteristics. *Note: the bar will not show what it is doing until it is loaded up in a corner pretty good.

Notice how it is if you have to brake in a corner, accelerate in a corner, lift off the gas. What happens when you turn in late, fast sweepers...etc. Learn the car fully with the new setup.

Then, after a while, change the setting. Repeat above and decide which is better for you. A bigger bar, or a higher setting is not automatically better or cooler. Changing the tire pressure effects things almost as much. (Check tires, start at 38 psi or something and check often).

Then you will know what the bar does, and why you like the setting you finally decide on. Starting in the middle is a good place to start.

As always my internet advice comes with a money back guaranty.

3. Jackson

Jackson New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Charlotte
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick question
    If you only change springs, do you have to get an alignment?

Thx!

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was told I should and it turned out to be the right move. In my case, I would NOT advise letting the dealer do it. :nonod:

Jim

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    A proper alignment is a good idea anytime you make major changes to your suspension. 2cents