Suspension Brakes Tail happy

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by fngolfer, Jun 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I've read reviews that the new coupe is the easiest Mini to rotate because how the suspension is tuned. I have an r56 with NM springs and was wondering how to make it more tail happy. Is it just a matter of 0 camber in the rear or what? I understand that it may make it more dangerous if the wife drives it but oh well...I want to feel it come around a little without e braking. I do notice it when I lift throttle but is there more I can do?

2. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Have you already upgraded to a stiffer rear sway bar? That will help reduce under steer and liven it up a bit....

3. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    No swaybar yet. I guess that should come before control arms. I do have sport package. Does that mean I have a thicker swaybar than one without sport package?

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Uhh yeah. Dangerous is the right word. Are you Autox'ing or open tracking? I'd advise against getting the car unstable if all you are doing is driving around on the street. I grew up in LA. The last thing you want is a twitchy car while in the wet on the 60 freeway when you hit a pot-hole. Or worse, your wife.

When the car comes loose when you lift off the throttle is called: Throttle-lift oversteer. It happens when you suddenly unload the rear suspension by snapping off the gas in a turn. In some racing instances it can be used to your advantage. On the street, it's just a dumb thing to do.

A stiffer rear sway-bar will "loosten" the rear but at the cost of grip. The above warning applies.

I don't say this to keep you from modding your car or having a "spirited" drive. However, from your post it sounds like you are doing this on the streets and with little concern for safety as a driver and without concern for other less experienced drivers that may be driving and unable to handle the vehicle in adverse conditions.

I suggest you look into the SoCal MINI Maniacs as they have a track-day coming up. Or look into getting to an autocross to learn more about how to handle your MINI. :Thumbsup: Good luck and be safe.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Very good advice. :Thumbsup:

6. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thanks red beard. You're right that my mini is basically for street and canyon carving. I never drive it 10 tenths. I think I will leave it alone. I'm just always thinking about my next mod. I can't stop!

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I TRULY understand the mod-bug. I'm very guilty of that myself. :cornut:

I highly advise you try an autocross or track day. Not only is it a blast to do, it makes you a better driver. There is an addage in racing, "Adjust the nut behind the wheel first." :Thumbsup:

Good luck and Happy Motoring.