Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S 02-06 MCS with 6 speed Automatic Transmissions

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MiniKar, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MiniKar

MiniKar Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nevada
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If any M/A members own the 02-06 Mini S with the 6 speed Auto tranny not the CVT, you need to change your (ATF) transmission fluid.

The spec is JWS-3309 which Mobil makes and sells for about $5.50 a quart.

Don't believe its a lifetime fluid just because MINI says its so. Also, most MINI dealerships will refuse to do this as its not in the schedule of service items.

Any interested members please let me know if you need instructions and I'll post a how to do it.

If you are already having shifting problems, it may be too late but you can always give it a try.

Parts are available from MINI; crush washers and gasket rings.

MiniKar

2. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, good idea. :Thumbsup: If you can do it go for full syn, Royal Purple or Redline, pricey but they will take you safely another 40K. My local dealer had 1 crush washer. I bought my 06 end of December with about 45k on it. I would have change it at 40k had I owned it then, but did it my second weekend after I bought it. First weekend was oil and filters. It's not that hard, it just takes a while but definitely worth doing.

Tracy

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We'd be happy to help you create a Library article for this. Please send a PM to Steve to get the ball rolling.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Great idea... :Thumbsup:

Looking forward to read the how to.

5. Forkboy

Forkboy New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil field heavy hauler
    Grand Junction, Co
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That is a great idea for a library article. My 06 mcs has 64000 miles on it and shifts just fine. I was always wondering what the recommended service interval was for the 6 speed auto. If it's not to hard I would do it myself and instructions are always handy. Thanks for the idea and hope it shows up in the library!

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    We have had a member in mass find that the tranny fluid is also sold at toyotda dealers...they use many trannys from the same manufacture....

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yep, it's an Aisin TF-60SN in the MINI.

[​IMG]

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I wonder if they also supply the Aisin Carp thriving up in lake Erie?

9. jaysmgf

jaysmgf New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minikar
    I would like to get your instructions on how to change my 2006 S tranny also.
    I purchased it this Janary with 48,000 miles on it and from whay you say its
    better to be safe and not sorry.

Jay

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    MINI's definition of 'lifetime fluid': A fluid that is good enough to last until the car is out of warranty and it is no longer their problem.

It all depends on what 'life' you are referring to. Technically, the transmission fluid will last until the transmission explodes from lack of lubrication and needs to be replaced.... hence, it lasts for the lifetime of the transmission. :D

11. fishbone

fishbone New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #11 fishbone, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Hey guys! This thread came right on time :) Today I decided to take some time and compiled my own DIY along with other helpful information from over the North American Motoring thread dedicated to this very topic. I'm attaching my PDF and I hope that any feedback you have you will not hesitate since I am looking to improve it best I can. Yes, it's long :)

Bottom line, if you know how to change your own oil, the ATF change is just a bit more complicated than that. With patience and care, I am confident you can do it.
    Let me know what you think.
    I am hoping to include instructions for the R56. I think I'll open a related thread on that forum and we will see what we get.

Attached Files:

12. fishbone

fishbone New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can someone help me out with the R's?
    I'm ashamed to admit I only know the 2007+ is the R56
    What about the 2007+ base Mini, Clubman /S and Countryman /S?

RealOEM.com and a parts guy are coming through, here is what I have found out so far.
    Some Mini S use the TF-60SN and others use the TF61SN from 2005 to 2012
    The clubman / coupe / Mini could also have the TF70SC from 2011-2012
    The Countryman from 2011-2012 has the TF61-SN and in 2012 the TF61SN or the TF70SC

So! Time to look up how the TF61 and TF70 are different and what impact that has on the DIY.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  14. fishbone

fishbone New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sah-weet! I'll have a look.

15. fishbone

fishbone New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Per the diagrams, it appears all transmission models are either identical in make, or very very similar. I am 90% sure the procedure for the fluid change is the same across all 6-speed automatics.

I've made some significant changes to the how-to and re-attached the new copy above.
    If you have saved a copy, get the new one.

16. Forkboy

Forkboy New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil field heavy hauler
    Grand Junction, Co
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks fishbone for the instructions to change the tranny fluid! I just downloaded them and will give it a try when i get back home... in a few weeks. For now my mini sits quietly in the garage at home while i'm out in North Dakota working...

17. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep - what MiniKar said.

I changed mine at 80k and it was like burned coffee. Nasty. Mostly due to me doing the nasty power downshifts on way too many Dragon runs and vastly overheating the fluid. I was getting lots of slip in the 2-3 shift. Thought a tranny rebuild was imminent.

After the fluid change, things shift better than new. Now at 111k and no problems.

At 80k, I did the drain/refill cycle 3 or 4 times. At 100k (and every 20k thereafter) I'll do a double drain/fill cycle. That will keep "fresh enough" fluid in there for the life of the car.

And I don't abuse the tranny as much as I did in the first few years.

I use the Toyota T-IV fluid, using fishbone's DIY.