Suspension Brakes 1st Gen 02 MCS Suspension is Knackered - Thoughts on these Kits?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by armybuck041, Nov 6, 2016.

1. armybuck041

armybuck041 New Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everybody,

I recently took possession of a 2002 MCS for the huge sum of $600. The body is tip top, but the SC and Water Pump were both verified dead prior to the sale. Still a great deal none the less.

I went ahead and did the SC this past weekend along with a few other little maintenance items. Also popped on a 15% Pulley while I was at it. Took it for a test spin and stomped on the skinny pedal.... Nearly changed lanes on me. Suspension was clacking, rattling and banging, not to mention hitting the bump stops on wavy terrain. In other words, the suspension is completely toast.

When I refreshed my 2005 Landrover LR3 last year, I bit the bullet and bought a complete suspension kit along with a poly bushing kit. It was expensive and a ton of work to install, but the results were worth it. Rides and performs great without even the slightest rattle.

I'm thinking that taking the same approach for the MCS would be the best. This car will be used for some spirited commuting to work and weekend runs for diapers. No tracks or races. I'm trying to do this for $2000 or less (including labour as its nearing winter up here so working in the driveway is out of the question). So I started looking around for kits and settled on these two:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2002-Cooper-R53-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/ES2960276/

http://powerflexusa.com/MiniCooperGen1HandlingPack.aspx

Any comments or opinions or other suggestions for kits?

Thanks

Scotty

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Yes defiantly Powerflex bushings. I can promise you you need to do the lower control arms. Please considerer using one of our sponsors. Just hit the tab at the top. They are very supportive of the Mini community, and very helpful with questions. Detroit Tuned, outmotoring, eminiparts, CravenSpeed, Greene Performance, Helix just to name some.

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The struts and springs look like a great idea. Most of the Powerflex package would be great. The motor mount will bring a lot of noise into the car and the rear shock bushings you'll get with the rear shocks. Not Powerflex but new ones for those shocks.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    A good rear sway bar will go a long way to improving the handling.

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    #5 Red Bull, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Some of the 2002's had different suspensions/mounts from the rest of the 1st Gens so I would make sure whatever you get is compatible with your car. I would check with Detroit Tuned, or another vendor on Motoring Alliance to see if you have one of the early cars and what you'll need to look out for.

Sorry for referencing the wrong forum Nate :eek:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    For an 02 it's very important to note the build date as there were suspension changes mid year.

7. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Also, get one of these. Full of all the info you will need. :Thumbsup:

Attached Files:

8. armybuck041

armybuck041 New Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of the tips Gents.

Looks like i'll go with the Bilstein Kit.

For the bushings, i'm thinking that rather than buying the Powerflex Kit it may be better to buy the items individually to skip the motor mounts and shock bushings etc.

Based on the chart below, i'll look at buying the items separately that comprise the suspension. I wish someone sold a complete kit!

Attached Files: