1st Gen R53 Cooper S 04 MCS won't start

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ole97texas, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just bought an 04 MCS with 95k Saturday. Today it won't respond to the key. Lights, radio, etc. work but nothing when key is turned. Battery is good and appears new along with battery cables. Where should I look next?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Was the battery tested and verified good?

Any idea if it is an OEM or aftermarket battery?

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Check the jump stud under the bonnet, located on the firewall drivers side, in a black plastic cover. Make sure the connection is tight and not corroded.

4. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Also check the ground strap on the passenger side of the engine.

5. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Did everything suggested. It did push start when clutch was popped. Let it run an hour & then put on charger overnight. Next morning would not respond to key as before. Took battery to 2 different places & was told by both places that the battery tested good. It is an aftermarket battery. Further suggestions welcomed.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Did you contact the place where up bought it, or was it from an individual? I have seen batteries test fine (or so they said), but are not. I think I would replace it and go from there.

Jim

7. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    04 will not start

I attempted to contact the individual who sold the car but he will not return my calls. I was hoping to see if he had encountered any similar problems with the car not starting. Walmart and another parts store both tested the battery and confirmed it was good. Do you think it could be the starter or ignition switch?

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Do you have another key you could try? The MINI keys have a chip in them that the car has to recognize before it will start the car. If not you can re-initialize the key to the car. The dealer can do it and I believe there is a way to do it yourself, but I am not sure exactly how it is done.

9. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Sounds a little suspicious since you say the battery and cables look new and the previous owner will not return your car. I suspect the previous owner had some problem going on that was not resolved.

When you try to start the car does anything happen? Any little crank over of the engine or at least a clicking noise from the starter? It could be that the starter solenoid is not kicking in (moving) to engage the power lead that provides power to spin the starter motor.

10. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    When you took the car for a test drive, was the engine already running?

During the test drive, did you ever shut off the engine and restart it?

Have you previously been able to shut off the engine and restart without any problems?

11. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Scott, i'm pretty sure it is NOT a key or immobilizer issue b/c OP was able to push start the car. If key was not matched, then push-start would not have worked.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Oops.... missed that post

:biggrin5:

13. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Having seen a battery test good when it wasn't, my first thought is the battery. Push starting successful when cabin electrics are working is a classic symptom.

Next step is to look at the ignition fuse. The fuse box is under the hood on the right hand side when facing the engine. Fuse location is FL7. If the fuse is good, then tighten grounds, including the starter lead. The power and ground on the starter are not easy to access, and be sure to disconnect the battery before probing around with socket extensions. If the fuse is bad, look at the power cables to the starter, because something shorted.

I'll re-ask the question posed earlier, are there any noises when turning the key?

14. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Keith, just b/c the battery tested 'good' doesn't mean it is.

I once replaced a battery on my BMW 3-series with a new battery from Autozone. Lasted one day and the car won't start the very next. Battery tested good. But i bit the bullet and got a BMW battery from stealership, no problem with starting after that. Not saying that's the cause of your woes, but worth looking into :)

15. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Took it to a Mini dealership and found out the starter is the culprit. Dealer wants approximately $800 to replace it. Is this a difficult job on the MCS? While replacing the starter are there other accompaning repairs recommended?

16. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The exhaust manifold has to come off to get to the starter. Not a big job but also not a quick job because it is a little difficult to get to all the bolts. $800 seems high but the dealerships are always high. The part number is 12417570488, which is a rebuilt Bosch starter (the dealership will use rebuilt instead of new). Online the prices for the rebuilt Bosch starter range from $243 pelicanparts.com to $312 penskeparts.com. I suspect the dealership will charge at least $400 for the starter then you are paying for a few hours of labor. You can find other mfgr rebuilt starters for $100.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you went to MINI of Dallas or Plano and you are a MetroplexMini member you will get a discount. Also in the area the independent shop Bob's Tire and Auto will give you a discount as well. Ask for Will at Bobs.

18. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Picked up car from dealer this afternoon. The service advisor was surprised when she worked up the invoice. It was NOT a faulty starter as she had told me 24 hours earlier. The clutch safety switch was not attached to the clutch pedal. $138.21 later,starting every time. K-uvero, whenever I turned the key there were no sounds. Quikmni, thank you for the valuable information. Nathan, thank you for the club information!

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Now that is good information to keep in the back of my mind. Thank goodness they did not replace the starter first and then find this problem. :Thumbsup:

Jim

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm glad it was something easy & relatively cheap. I feel somewhat stupid for not thinking of that myself.