1st Gen R50 Cooper 06 MINI Cooper Base: Should I get MBI? Oil Pan Sweat?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MiniatureMarvel, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MiniatureMarvel

MiniatureMarvel New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

I'm a new '06 MINI base owner! I just purchased the car from a private seller that took great care of the vehicle, kept impeccable records, and only put 40k miles on it (mostly city driving). This is also my first car and I don't know much about auto maintenance in general. I have maintained motorcycles but it just seems way less complicated than a car to me!

I have some time to decide whether or not I should add Mechanical Breakdown insurance from my credit union for a flat $2k--no deductible, covers electrical, fuel delivery, air conditioning, engine, front suspension, transmission, etc. It would cover the next four years or another 48k miles. Do you think it's a good idea?

The recent inspection was great with the exception of "light oil pan sweating" on the right side. The guy said this didn't seem like too much of an issue to him, but that it is something to watch because it could either lead to nothing or something more major. What could it lead too? What would that cost? Is this common with these cars?

My fear is that the car has been trouble free BECAUSE it has been driven so lightly...which leads me too getting the coverage but then I could also save that, wait and see, and hope whatever happens doesn't cost more than 2k.

Thoughts appreciated!
    Doxie

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Tell us more about your MINI. Is it a Cooper S or a Cooper? Is it a manual transmission or an automatic?

Welcome to M/A....

3. MiniatureMarvel

Aug 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's a blank slate! 2006 Mini Cooper Base, 5 speed manual, 40k city miles. The previous owner had no major problems with the vehicle and according to the service records nothing more than routine maintenance has been done other than right engine mount replacement and noting the sweating oil pan.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If you had the CVT automatic I'd say yes buy an extended warranty. The 5 speed is not problematic. Unless you are seeing oil on the ground & you are having to add oil that oil pan is not a problem. I'd put that 2 grand in the bank & use it for repairs if needed. The 2006 MINI has proven to be a pretty reliable machine.

Change the oil & filter every 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 & you are good to go.

Enjoy the MINI.

5. MiniatureMarvel

Aug 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Happy to hear it! :Thumbsup:

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That oil leak is probably just the crank sensor o-ring, it's a very simple fix on the Cooper. It's rarely the oil pan gasket, so save your dough....

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had the exact same problem on my car and it was exactly what Minidave just said.

Crank sensor O-ring, very cheap and easy fix.

8. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    The O ring is a common failure, but the consequences are just messy, not critical. What Crashton said about oil on the ground. The oil pan gasket could be serious, but it's not nearly as common. My suggestion, given no oil on the floor or dropping level, is get under there and clean the front of the engine thoroughly, then check to see where the seepage is coming from.

I changed both O-ring & gasket last month in my '05 S & it was a long job. Mostly not difficult, just lots of steps. With both me and the dealer's tech working it took us 3 1/2 hours. I suspect it would be much quicker without my help!