2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 09 MCS OEM Turbocharger size?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Robo91, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Good morning! Im currently looking at a turbo insulation cover for my Cooper but am holding off on buying it until i know the size of my stock turbocharger. The product offers 2 sizes: T/3, OR T/4. which size should i buy for a stock mcs turbo? Thanks!

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    :cornut: The retailer/supplier that you are buying the cover from should be able to tell you which is correct according to your model/year. If they can't tell you which is correct then you are definately buying from the wrong (fly by night) supplier.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  4. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    #4 BRG_Paul, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    09 MCS OEM Turbocharger siz?

There is a good chance that you'll cook your turbo by installing an insulating cover..... If you are worried about the melting hoodscoop issue then install a heat shield to the underside of the bonnet. Don't buy into that ridiculous tripe that insulating the turbo makes it more efficient. If you want to keep hot air from entering an aftermarket CAI ... then perhaps a DDM intake duct kit would help.

5. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Nonsense!

I am an engineer and an ABB turbocharger technician.

A turbocharger is a heat engine. If you keep the heat in the turbine side, it will spool up faster, less of the heat energy is lost through radiation and it will keep the water cooled pedestal bearing cooler. This is simple physics.

Every turbocharger I work on has a heat blanket on the turbine, they don't do this because it shortens the life of the turbine, they do it because it increases longevity and efficiency.

Dave

6. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0

No offense intended Dave...
    I am a centrifugal compressor guy... so I need to think about the effects of a blanket on a turbine.
    The process of compression generates heat. The heat conducted through the casing is the 'effect'... the losses have already occurred.... a blanket doesn't change the compression process. To measure the efficiency of a compressor you do need to account for all losses... like heat dissipation through the casing. Insulation in that situation helps to insure that the static and dynamic pressure probes and temperature sensors are not influenced by the ambient conditions of the lab. The efficiency of the compressor section is directly related to the flow, and temperature and pressure differentials between the inlet and exhaust. But the efficiency of a compressor cannot be increased by virtue of an insulating blanket. The efficiency is the result of specific speed, blade angles, blade thickness, boundary layer losses, diffuser design...etc.

MINI has gone to some pains recently to revise the oil supply lines to the TC cooler...to help keep them cooler and therefore improve its reliability. A blanket would hamper that effort. I suppose that a blanket could possibly reduce any convective heating of the bearings... but I'm sure that conduction through the casing is the first order effect.

I've been a centrifugal compressor design engineer for more than 30 years and am a registered PE.

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jason

8. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0

Ha ha... :)

9. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    We are talking about the benefits of insulating the turbine side of the turbocharger, not the compressor side, which I agree, should not be lagged (insulated).

Dave