1st Gen 2007 S Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Wisc07S, Sep 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I believe I had an antifreeze leak for at least a couple of months. It wasn't bad and was hard to tell it was present because it pooled on ground in the same place as condensation from the AC.

The car is a 2007 S with 62,000 miles.

After extended use antifreeze would run down the back of the engine and drip off the transmission.

After I removed the thermostat housing the problem appeared to be a leaking temperature sensor located in the top of the thermostat housing.

I replaced the whole unit instead of replacing the sensor which costs about $26. The thermostat, built into a plastic housing which resembles a water pump, temperature sensor, and gasket come as a unit from mini for about $140.

Pretty easy job, just a lot of wires and other small parts in the way. Three bolts and one retaining pin on a back elbow and it's off. I'm assuming this is a fairly common problem because the local dealer, International Autos in Milwaukee, Wi, had seven of these parts in stock and multiple sensors too.

Thermostat part number: 11-53-7-534-521

Attached Files:

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just make sure you get all the air out of the cooling system. Sometimes it can be tricky. Keep an eye on the level on the coolant tank as it may drop a little until all the air is removed.

3. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I think they go through a lot of those. I had 2 replaced under warranty - not leaking, just bad thermostats. It's good to see it's not too complicated now that the warranty is up.

4. gunter655

gunter655 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for this info, I have the same problem, now I know from where is coming.