120 mph chase ends with Mini Cooper striking Kingsport police cruiser, injuring two

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Nathan, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    KINGSPORT — An unidentified city police officer and a Johnson City man were injured early Friday morning.
    The man lead police on a 120 mph chase in a Mini Cooper reported stolen from New York, according to police.

The suspect was caught and remained in jail Saturday afternoon. The officer and suspect were treated and released from Holston Valley Medical Center Friday.

Travis Samuels, 23, 1294 Milligan Highway Apartment, 9 Johnson City, was charged with the offenses of three counts of aggravated assault, felony evading arrest, DUI, resisting arrest, driving on a suspended license, possession of stolen property, the vehicle, reckless driving, and reckless aggravated Assault, along with what a news release described as minor traffic offenses.

The release does not identify the officer, and no one immedidatley could be reached at the Police Department Saturday afternoon to answer questions about the report.

The narrative on the release indicated that on Friday, June 10 at about 3:42 a.m., officers observed a green Mini Cooper driving erratically in the area of Stone Drive near the Waffle House.

“KPD Units attempted to stop the vehicle but it fled from the area at a high rate of speed. Due to the excessive speed the vehicle was not pursued and a BOLO (Be On The Lookout) was issued over the radio in reference to the speeding Mini Cooper,†the narrative of the release indicated.

About nine minutes later other KPD Units came into contact with the Mini Cooper in the Riverview area and officers saw the operator was outside the vehicle. KPD units then approached the vehicle, but the driver entered the car and fled the scene again

KPD units followed, and the pursuit continued onto Wilcox Drive and eventually onto Interstate 26 “at speeds in excess of 120 mph,†the narrative said.

Near mile marker 6.2 the Mini Cooper struck the guard rail and the driver slowed and eventually stopped. KPD Units surrounded the vehicle, but then the driver “backed the wrong way on the Interstate and struck a KPD cruiser.â€

However, officers managed to grab Samuels from the vehicle and he was taken into custody after a brief struggle, the narrative said.

After being released from the hospital, Samuels was initially kept in the Kingsport City Jail under a $100,000 bond but was later transferred to the Sullivan County Jail, where he remained held on that bond Saturday afternoon.

Source - 120 mph chase ends with Mini Cooper striking Kingsport police cruiser, injuring two - Kingsport Times-News Online

2. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. I've been to Kingsport, TN. Grandparents grew up and raised their families there.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Been there too. One of my grandmothers lived in Johnston City. I turn off 81 at Johnson City, heading to MOTD.

Jim

4. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I can't come to the keyboard right now... I am behind bars. :eek:
    :D

5. FranticFreddy

FranticFreddy Drive-N-Eat
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Some Where between here and there.
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I hope the KPD forget about this by next April. :D

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol:

Good point. Might have to take it slow on 26 until I hit NC.

Jim

7. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Good point Fred :biggrin5:

8. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    You can outrun the Police ""BUT"" not the Police Radio

No matter how fast or how good you are in the twisties you just can't get away from the Police Radio".

Car Thieves really should get the "Death Penalty" but that is for another post.