Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S 15% Pulley Mod: How to do it right?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by andyroo, Oct 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Most of you have done this already (several times) and are probably rolling your eyes at this thread, but there's about 1000 threads over at the other board and it's tough to sort through the BS, speculation, etc.

Also there's a good chance I'm over thinking it.

Anyway, what's the "right" way to do a simple 15% pulley mod?

Probably the only motor mod I'll do, maybe I'll get an intake or even a tune someday. Goal is just a little more oomph, I'm not a big power guy and the car may eventually see the track.

I also don't want to sacrifice gas mileage at all. From what I can tell that's not an issue with pulley mods.

Must haves:

15% Pulley (duh)
    Belt?

Nice to haves:
    Tensioner stop?
    Colder spark plugs?

Frankly I'm not a believer that an extra psi or 2 of boost would make my car run crappy if i didn't switch to colder plugs, but i'm not much of an motor guy.

Thanks for the help!

- Andrew

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Belt - Gates K060535

Tensioner Stop - Good to have pulley or no pulley IMHO. Detroit Tuned is the one I use.

Plugs - One range colder is what the factory went with for the JCW, my thought is that if MINI went through all the trouble to spec these and carry a second plug line for the cars then there is some merit. I do not have first hand knowledge as I did many changes at the same time as the pulley and actually run 2 ranges colder.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Are you asking for a DYI how-to and how to optimally perform the task?
    Is the pulley size set in stone?
    Are you limiting input to only three topics, belt, stop, and plugs?

4. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not really looking for install instructions, not quite there yet and I've seen what look like good posts for that.

Just a parts list I suppose. Not limited to what I posted, those were just what came to mind.

Pulley size is fairly set in stone, just based on my research. I don't care about getting a little more power from a 17 or 19, and I will probably be tracking the car, so that's why i'm thinking 15% (although I asked about JCW sized pulleys in another thread).

- Andrew

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    **ears perked**

One more reason I like this site. More wise men (and women), less trashy bickering and uninformed opinions.

I told myself I wouldn't do a pulley till I needed one to keep up on the track. Keeping up with the Lotus in the curves and watching it walk away on the straights convinced me it's getting about time.

6. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd say the colder plugs are more of a must have, I drove my car for a short time with the 15% and stock plugs and it ran OK but the colder plugs did seem to give it a bit more oomph and smoother overall characteristics, some of this could be attributed to the factory plugs having 10K miles on them though.
    I also use the Detroit Tuned Tensioner stop and while it wasn't bad to install after-the fact, I'm sure it's that much easier when you're already doing the pulley to do it and it's cheap insurance.

As for fuel economy, lately I've been driving like a little old lady (part of dealing with an anger/road rage issue) and have been seeing tank averages between 30 and 33mpg. I don't know that a stock R53 could do any better as I'm not seeing too much boost in my daily commute.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Blimey will get 33mpg when I'm dead. :cool:

8. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone. I guess the plugs are worth it.

I barely see 28mpg, but i do have 1000 lb s-lites with runflats still. And my driving doesn't have much highway in it.

- Andrew

9. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    go with the 15% pulley with a smaller belt as well as the colder plugs. i have seen to many motors that need rebuilding becasue of not having them. for 36 dollars, it's an easy thing to do to save the motor.

also adding a pulley will not make your MPG go down unless you drive it that way.

Chad
    Detroit Tuned

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Chad. 15% and a belt is the best setup you can get. Go ahead get the plugs and a DT tensioner stop too. It will be alot better for the engine.