1st Gen R53 Cooper S 2003 MCS - On throttle delay time...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by robncar, Dec 17, 2011.

1. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pardon the question but, as a new Mini owner, I have nothing to compare it to.

--> What is a typical delay time as to throttle response?

I know this is rather subjective and difficult to quantify but still the question persists.

I also know that there is a device (Sprint Booster) that is designed to decrease the response lag time and is rather expensive. But, what is "normal"?

We've had other Drive-By-Wire vehicles (VW Golf TDI, VW New Beetle) and the lag time was/is nothing like the Mini.

2. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    My 2009 JCW has no throttle delay at all.

My JCW is very responsive with instant throttle action so I really can't help you except to advise you to see your dealer.

Do you still have a delay with the sport mode turned on?

If you find the problem please post it for other Mini owner that may have the problem. I'm sure it is not a very common problem due to no complaints.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Gen1 cars CAN have a bit of delay (disregard gen2 info..different motor, turbo, and computer).
    Just a bit more info...decribe the lag...
    Many folks decribe things differently, and a delay could be normal or abnormal..
    is it a delay in power...below 3000 rpm or so....a delay in tyrottle response at lower rpms, fine at higer, etc.
    The drive by wire system on a mini DOES have a bit more lag than most like, but there are ways around this....custom tunes can adjust this, as can a sprint booster, but lag could be due to sensor issues, or stuck/sticky bupass valve....so be very descriptive.
    If you have a local club, a member might let you barrow a sprintbooster for a short hop...if this is enough, great, but as these cars age a bit, i am inclined to tell folks too look a bit deeper before possibly masking an issue.

4. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    What i would do is be 100% all normal mantaince items are current...
    Check the plugs, make sure the belt is recent, and check the plugs on the ignition coil (many get heavy corrosion due to oem desgin).
    Next, i might make sure the fuel is good (high test only, switch supplies for a tank), and imo, do a seafoam treatment to clean the sensors...many folks do, some don't...do it wrong, no change, or even dammage, but if done right, might help. Next, i would look at the bypass valve...the springs fail, or they get sticky...you can zip tie it shut as a tempory measure, and drive it a bit...
    Many cars around 2005 got multiple software upgrades to try to fix a yo-yo issue..the transition between bypass open, and then as it closed, and transtioned to WOT, some cars found one version of this software worked fine, others tried many....but the yoyo can feel laggy to some folks...
    The mini does lack a bit of tq below 3000 rpm....i got a 17% reduction on the sc, (suits my driving style) and it brings the boost on at lower rpms...others that enjoy more rpms are better suited by 15% imo).
    Once you get it squared away, the lag mostly dissapears...
    My custom tune made the biggest differance, but as many have found, IF EVERYTHING IS FUNCTIONING WELL, a sprint booster, or clone, is an option.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I love my sprint booster. It takes all the delay out of the throttle (yes, there is some) and the car seems much quicker, but I have a 2nd Gen car, so disregard this. :D

Jim

6. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ignition was just replaced last weekend. No difference in throttle response (lag time), only a smoother idle. We only run premium fuel in the Mini.

The delay I'm speaking of is below 3K RPM. The pedal can be modulated with almost no change in engine RPM then, after a period, the RPM jumps as one would expect with a cable actuated throttle. Above 3K, the throttle is very responsive, no complaints.

I have not, as of yet, perfomred the zip tie test on the BPV. It is on the list to implement. Upon testing, the BPV will either be exonerated, removed and adjusted, or replaced with a DT varient.

This weekend, should the weather cooperate, the plan is to install an ATI damper, new belt, and after testing, a 15% pulley.

We are chasing a P1688 code that is discussed here:

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/11233-2003-mcs-p1688-please-assist-4.html

7. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting question! I have not spent much time with the DSC off. I just read a thread where power was down during a track-day and the DSC being ON turned out to be an issue.

I'll do some A/B testing on this and see, thanks!

8. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The code as said in the other thread points at the crank damper or maybe a sensor...
    Before spending the $$ to swap them out a bit of cleaning might help...
    The crank damper is a realibility issue, longterm....mine is getting swapped out soon too...the rubber it is composed of is getting to the point it is flexing a bit when i inspect it compared to before.
    Imo, after you do the damper, they to recreate the issue...if it happens, it might be worth looking at the airflow sensors...(and for leaks). If i remember right, there are 2, but even though they look the same, they are different p/n, and cannot be swapped.

9. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The dsc on gen1 is inactive till it flashes...then it cuts engine output...

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm going out on the limb here..

I'm guessing the crank pulley that is on it's way out is taking a little more to spool up at the lower RPM's, maybe even slipping some. Once the pulley is replaced the throttle lag will lessen.

Again, just a theory.

11. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, we should know in the AM. I got to the point of attaching the puller and the rain came back... darn it! Unfortunately, even though we posess a three car garage, I have to perform this work outside... :mad2:

You really can't see much from the front as to the condition of these dampers it appears. From the front, it looks fine. I can say there does not seem to be any looseness/wobble from prying on the damper.

12. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE

Well, throttle lag has been reduced greatly with the change of the damper, belt, and the addition of the 15% pulley. Rather giddy right now... :Thumbsup:

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So you replaced the crank pulley?

14. robncar

robncar New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Engineer
    La Verne, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, with an ATI variant. Also, a 15% SC reduction pulley (since I was in there anyway) and a "39" belt. Air and oil filters replaced and oil changed. All that, coupled with the iginition upgrade have made this little car come alive... :Thumbsup: