2004 Cooper Non-S... Big Dreams

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by PharMini, Nov 4, 2013.

1. PharMini

PharMini New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys! I've recently purchased a 2004 mini cooper non-s, and I'm a bit excited about what's to come. Problem is: I have no idea what I should be doing to it in the way of exterior, interior, or engine mods. I won't actually be getting the car for about 2 more weeks (So of course I'll be posting pics :cornet:) but I want to go ahead and get my plan in order first.

So my questions are:

1) Engine mods. I know the Cooper is not set up for any big-time changes, which is fine, I'm just looking for a little extra oomph and a good sound. What have you heard about the Borla Catback exhaust and the K&N typhoon CAI? I also saw a Unichip Uni-q chip that was supposedly tuned to go with a cooper fitted with a cutback exhaust. Any info would be awesome to help get me started.

2) Exterior mods. I'm going for a pretty much Italian Job with this Mini. It's white with a black roof, so I'd like to fit some black wheels (light wheels, of course) with good tires, black trimmings all around, and the fog lights. I'd also really like to fit the ground effects that come on the S model, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Do they even fit the non-s models? Any suggestions would be awesome, again.

I also plan to do some suspension/brakes/both work as well, but I'd like to get the sound and the looks right first. I know you guys here at M/A know what's up, so let's hear some suggestions. I'm all ears!

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    First of all, WELCOME TO M/A! We are a fun place, full of ideas and good people.

With regard to the UniChip, I had one in my MCS, as well as in my Cooper. They are ok at first, but when the internals of the engine figure out what it's all about, the chip is over ridden...not useless, but no longer a "power" feature. So, I sold mine and had an ecu tune put in each car. The ecu tune is a permanent tune, or so my installer has given me to understand.

A cai and a catback in your R50 will give you a sporty sound, and will make you feel as if your car is, indeed, a pocket rocket...until all the R53s leave you standing, that is.

If your car still has runflats, get rid of them. They really suck, unless you enjoy a ride that is comparable to driving around with squared cement blocks on your car. About everyone gets rid of them quickly.

Anyway, again, welcome to our little place in the world of MINI. :Thumbsup:

3. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net......:cool:

Show off that R50..let us see....:D

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    The "S" body parts will fit the Non "S" car, I used to have an "S" front bumper on mine.. You just have to look around for the parts in the after market on the cheap. You can still buy new if you have the coin... I have some "S" side skirts I'd give ya if you could pick them up. ( NC ) Too bulky to bother shipping.. They have been sanded on some so you'd have to plan on having them painted... There is an "S" front bumper on NAM for sale for 150 bucks. think it is yellow.. probably some rear bumpers around junk yards.. and or call Way at Way Motor Works... Shipping on bumpers is around 85 bucks or so though..

6. PharMini

PharMini New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. These are some great ideas. I'll get pics up as soon as I get the car.

I definitely plan on calling Way Motor Works. I live about 3 hours from ATL and I'd be more than willing to make a drive for my lil' Mini.

Also, any suggestions on good rims and tires? There are several manufacturers of wheels that I've looked at that seem like good value, but I'm always skeptical.

Also, what about installation of the CAI and the cat back exhaust? I've asked around and there doesn't seem to be anywhere around here that does installs of the sort. I assume with a little ingenuity and direction I could do them myself, but I'd rather have them done professionally. I just don't want to dig myself into a huge financial hole.

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Cat back is easy to install once you get the car on jack stands and have some basic tools. The hardest part is biting the bullet and cutting off the old to ease in it's removel. I didn't do that and it was a &^%$ to get it out from under the car in 1 piece with the car only on jack stands, but I did it in case the new cat back was too loud.. Same with the CAI the new one will be much easier to put on then the stock one will be to get off, but there again it's not too bad if you don't mind cutting the long drop tube off from under the car... Doing them both yourself will save you probably 3 hours of labor some where... which will pay for the CAI and then some..
    If you not too concerned about looks on wheels just go to Tire Rack's site and look at wheels for you car but mainly look at their weight.. Can get some 15'' wheels that weigh about 10-11 pounds if your not picky... and still under 125 each.. plus if you keep from going with a tall tire you will pick up some low end ummp from the lower gearing they provide..

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered