1st Gen R50 Cooper 2006 Justa alignment/suspension help

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Carve906, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Carve906

Carve906 Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    So... Quick back story (stick with me...):
    I bought my '06 justa cooper off the lot in early '07. By early '09, I had put about 50k on it and loved it. Problem was I was worried about it not being in warranty and that the new r56 Justa's got a bit better mpg and I drive a lot. So I traded it (big mistake!). Always said if I found MY justa again, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat...

And I just found it! Problem is... It was in some kind of fender bender or pot hole. The steering is pretty hard to turn left and only slightly better left. No real pull while moving , but feels "off" (confirmed this feel by testing another '06 justa they had on the lot). Also, when I back up and to turn to the right, the wheel will "really spin fast and on its own accord" as soon as I start moving backwards with more than minor speed. Also, drivers door has a lot of resistance to opening.

The clutch felt great, most of all cosmetics look as to be expected or better for an 7 year old car and IT's MY OLD JUSTA!!

So: I need some help here. Normally, I'd stay away from this idea altogether... But, any ideas on what might be the issue and what to look for if I can get it up on the rack?? I really don't want to say goodbye again... But don't want a deal where I'm sinking $$$$ into it to get my handling back. And as this would be "the one" I keep forever, and not my daily driver, it's ok if it can't be fixed immediately (as in a little here and a little there). What should I be on the look out for?

-Robb

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Justa guess, but it sure sounds like something is bent in the front end. No idea what it could be. I think I'd move on to a better MINI. Did you sell your R56?

3. Carve906

Carve906 Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Nope, still have the r56... Although it'll most likely move on in march if the f56 pans out. This whole r50 thing only came up as it was my original cooper being resold again. Was this just any cooper, I'd have zero interest in it. If my '06 is trashed (as it is likely...), I will one day be in the market for a superb r53 (checkmate edition ideally)... But not for some time will I be pulling that trigger.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd also bee looking at the strut top for mushrooming. And to see if the rubber in has been torn possibly causing the out of alignment you are feeling.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It needs lower control are bushings & most likely the strut top bearings & mounts are bad. Like Nathan said mushrooms.

I know you have a sentimental attachment, but don't let that cloud your eyes & judgement.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The fact the door ALSO seems tight is worrisome.... Makes me think the car was curbed....
    The "hard to turn" might be from a dry/worn u-joint on the steering column... Kinda common actually....
    I would have a mechanic that knows mini's look closely at the car...see if it is worth getting..

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    What has the dealer said about it compared to the other MINI? Tell them to fix it and you'll buy it..

8. Carve906

Carve906 Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the thoughts all. Trying my best to not let my sentimental attachment cloud judgement as my gut says it might be time to let it go. The dealer claims his "mechanic" will be taking a look at it monday and that I"m to call back on tuesday… I'm kinda waiting to see what he says is the "problem" and then go from there. Sadly, I don't know of any mechanics in that area that "knows minis". May have to do some calling around if things look promising after tuesday's call.

Can one inspect the u-joint in steering column without removing a lot of components? is there a "test" to confirm if this may be a culprit?

I'll search the inter webs for a refresher on "mushrooming" and what it looks like in a R50… been a while since I was studying minis enough to be certain.

like i said, I'm gonna see what the dealer says and go from there…