1st Gen R53 Cooper S 2006 Mini Cooper S - Not Starting - NEED HELP!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lakeober, Jun 18, 2013.

1. lakeober

lakeober New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I am writing this for a friend, and trying to help him get his 2006 Mini Cooper S back up and running. So, here's whats going on.

The motor was rebuilt professionally about 6 months ago. However, my friend had removed the motor, and put it back in himself. The reinstallation of the motor went well, and when he had it back in, he decided to start it up. When he fired it up for the first time, he had no coolant in the system (I believe he was over-anxious ;) ) But, it fired right up, no problem. I was standing there watching, and can verify that it ran for less then 15 seconds.... so I doubt that the engine overheated. He then fired it up for his dad about 10 minutes later, and ran it for another 15 seconds, no issues. So, all was well.

The next day, he put coolant in the system, and was installing the exhaust and other small things. He unhooked the positive cable going to the alternator during working and forgot to hook it back up. When he went to start the car the next time, it sparked as it grounded on the frame. He quickly hooked it back to the alternator, but now the car wont start AT ALL. We have tried nearly everything, and nothing will work. The care with turn over, but won't start.

Here is the list of what we have done this far:

- Sent ECU to a shop that rebuilds them to be looked at, they said something was fried, and repaired it. I'm assuming this happened when the wire sparked.
    - Compression check (good)
    - Reset the ECU
    - Replaced the camshaft position sensor with OEM part
    - Replaced the crankshaft position sensor with OEM part
    - Replaced both TMAP sensors
    - Check for spark (good)
    - Check for good spray of fuel at injectors (good)
    - Replace all injectors
    - Spray starting fluid into intake (no difference noticed)
    - Checked & tested all fuses and relays, even the flat fuses below the fuse box (good)

Also, here is a video of the car trying to start so you can see what it sounds like: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWf9X-S66k]2006 Mini Cooper S - Not Starting - YouTube[/ame]

At this point, we are completely stumped. We have no idea what to even try and fix next. Obviously, everything was working properly, as it had started twice. If anyone has any ideas, we would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

I'm going to think that since the ECU was bricked and y'all tried to start it the anti-theft code rolled in the Body Control Module but not in the ECU. Now they don't match.

It's going to take the dealer or a shop with the right hardware to re-code the systems and get the BCM and ECU back on the same code.

That's what I think it might be.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Wow Nathan, I'm impressed! Welcome to MA and good luck with the fix.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. lakeober

lakeober New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you VERY much for your answer Nathan. I greatly appreciate your quick response. I think that your diagnosis may be a very possible option. I don't think we would have ever thought of something like that. Do you think if the codes didn't match, that the engine would turn over, or do you think it would just do nothing?

Also, do you believe that the issue could be with the ECU not functioning properly? Like I said, the ECU was sent out and rebuilt, but I suppose there is always the possibility that the company who did it, didn't do it it properly. I think we are getting somewhere with this... too bad it's probably gonna be a problem that requires the dealership (we live almost 2 hours from a Mini dealer, and the car has to be towed obviously). But you gotta do what you gotta do :wink:

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I'm skeptical about the anti-theft code theory. The wiring documentation says the immobilizer disables the starter relay.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I come by my theory form bricking the ECU not once, but twice. Both times the engine would turn over but not start.

Then again, I could be wrong.

7. TBO2Go

TBO2Go New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So what was the fix on this?

I am having similar problems with my 07 S. Mine would initially start but 10 sec later stop then wait and hour and repeat. Replaced the DME (from Mini) and the crank sensor. Right now I have no spark, no fuel (no injector trigger) but the engine will turn over.

Thanks

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    By reading above it looks like they had to it to the dealer to correct a coding issue because the ECU/DME and the BCM did not match. BCM (Body Control Module)