2006 Mini cooper used key

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Leoni, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Leoni

Leoni New Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just purchased a 2006 mini and the buttons on the key control are missing. it seems that the previous owner used another key to press the buttons inside until they were worn out.

To my surprise, these keys are pricey.

I've checked it out and it seems that I just might be able to fix it by removing the soldering and install new ones.

..So, Does anyone have a used key for sale for 2005 - 2007 model?
    Or does anyone know of a place in Los Angeles California with fair pricing.
    Thanks

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! Sometimes eBay has used keys. However, they need to be re-programmed for YOUR car. I have no idea how expensive that is, but it IS a suggestion. Good luck!:Thumbsup:

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

You can get a new shell on eBay for cheep but that doesn't sound like it will fix your problem.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I did a bunch of research into these fobs when mine stopped working a couple years ago. Turned out in my case all I needed to do was replace the battery (very easy, by the way) but another thing I learned was you can buy an empty shell (MUCH cheaper than a blank, unprogrammed key) and just transfer the internals (don't forget the chip!) and the blade. I remember it seemed really easy to do. Mine's an '02, don't know whether any of this would apply to whatever fob came with your '06.

5. valvashon

valvashon New Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Can you post a picture of your key or send me some pictures of the key? I repair MINI keys as a hobby business. Is this a three button key? What you are describing usually happens to the earlier two button keys, but I suppose anything is possible. I should be able to repair your key for well under what a new key costs. If you are in Los Angeles you will have to send me your key as I am here in Seattle.

A cheaper option for a second key if you don't have one is the "general, non-remote" key. You can get one at the dealer for under $100. A dealer is the only place you can easily get a key that works for your car.

Pictures of a recently repaired three button key are on the MINI Key Hospital facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/minikeyhospital

You can e-mail me at "minikeyhospital (at) earthlink (dot) net. I have repaired dozens of keys for MINI owners and I can help you too.

Dr. Bruce Hart
    MINI Key Hospital

6. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I case you do need to get a new one from the dealer they'll need your DL and vehicle registration. Those can be scanned and emailed if you want but you have to pick up the key in person and it will need to be initialized. Just danced this jig last spring.