R55 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by amaliajenine, Feb 10, 2018.

1. amaliajenine

amaliajenine New Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Having some issues with the cooling system on my car, some are telling me to replace the radiator, others are saying to explore other potential issues. So when I’m looking at the engine bay it’s leaking from the front left side, and it looks to be going down and potentially coming from the radiator itself. Any ideas on what it could be without me running out and buying parts?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That does sound like a radiator, hard to tell without seeing it. Could you post a picture or two? With this new sight you can post from your phone.

3. amaliajenine

amaliajenine New Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is the best I’ve got[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The problem with finding a leak it sometimes the air entering the engine compartment blows the water everywhere making it hard to find the leak. But if it is up front on the radiator then it is usually that or a hose.
    The only other thing I know you could try is make sure the car has plenty of antifreeze then let it idle till it comes to running temperature and look around the radiator to make sure that is where it is leaking.

I looks cold there

5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    You find it?

6. amaliajenine

amaliajenine New Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is very cold! I haven’t found the leak. Chad from Detroit Tuned says it’s gotta be be radiator.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Chad does know his stuff. I’ll try to get outside tomorrow morning before my flight to look at the radiator on mine. I want to check something out.... by that I mean on my 03M5 everyone said its a radiator (which all signs did lead to that).. but after I found exactly where the cooland was coming from it was a hose clap. That said.. different car. I want to see something as I have a hunch since I’ve been around BMW for many years. Maybe nothing to do with yours but I want to see weak points.. the R56 is new to me and now I have one. Time to learn.

Where exactly is the sign of fluid leak? In your pics it looks like its coming down the drivers side. Is that correct?