2008 MINI last on JD Power Vehicle Dependability List

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Wikedmini, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Ouch...hope the guys and gals in the Mini board rooms pay attention to this.... :(

Maybe instead of trying to bring so many new products to market they should take the time to dance with the lady they came with... ;)

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think this might be slightly skewed. My 07' while it was under the 3 yr warranty I took in several times for squeaks, rattles, adjustmentsl, Death Rattle and a Vaccum Pump failure. All covered under warranty. Ever since then the car has been a champ. And this is for the first run of the R56

It seems from the feedback is that this is the case for many MINI owners. And I *think* MINI manufactures their cars with a eye toward it being covered under warranty and expect to make adjustments. Just a theory, not based on any fact

My wifes 10' on the other hand has been to the service dept just once in 16 mo's of ownership

4. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I kinda miss the old days when the industry average used to be well over 300 problems per 100 vehicles...NOT. Given that, it's strange that even though MINI may be at the bottom of this list, it's at the very top for customer satisfaction. So maybe the issue isn't that MINIs are unreliable, but rather, they're pumping them out so fast that final quality control inspection might be a bit lacking.

If you thought the MINI cold start chain rattle was bad, you should check out the old GM 3.4l V6 motors. They called it normal and refused to acknowledge it was even an issue.

5. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I am both a bit disappointed and surprised by the observed decline in these areas between the first and second generations.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    +1 That is a sad fact.... :(

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :nonod: Just Curious. Could a great part of the difference(between 1st gen and 2nd gen) be the difference between:
    1. 1st gen American/Chrysler/Brazilian built engines
    2. 2nd gen Peugeot/French built engines

:cornut:What do y'all think?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jason

8. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I think the big issues with the R56 are the timing change rattle and the cold start issue.

MINIs will never be at the top of the reliability list because the people complaining are coming from Corollas, Civics and other not as fun cars. MINI suspensions are so finely tuned that you notice every little thing about them. A little bushing squeak on any of my previous cars are not an issue, but considered a huge problem in the MINI because you actually feel it in the steering and think something is going to fall off. MINIs are finely tuned machines and that makes them great to drive. We also drive our cars harder :D than most other cars, especially in the same size class.