2nd Gen R55 Clubman 2010 Mini John Cooper Works Clubman, an AW Drivers Log

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, May 25, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    EDITOR WES RAYNAL: The price makes me laugh out loud--$7,000 more than a Volkswagen GTI? I don’t think so, but this is a fun little scooter. I see the John Cooper Works cars sort of as Mini’s M, a subdivision which will put out performance versions of the regular Coopers, and I actually heard a guy on the sidewalk yell “Love those Coopers!†as I drove past him.

This car is fast and handles well and there’s good grip. The horsepower boost, about 30 hp, is significant, and this engine makes cool noises, more noticeable with the windows down. It felt as it the Sport button made the throttle response a bit better. It all feels well integrated though, and unlike a lot of tuners that just make cars ride harder and drive all hyper, this car is perfectly suited to tooling around town or blasting down the freeway. Twisty two lanes are where it would really shine.

SENIOR WEB REPORTER GREG MIGLIORE: So on a grey, wet, very British-like Sunday morning, I found myself with the urge to go drive this thing. Just to bomb around town with the streets mostly empty and a fairly dim backdrop to focus on shifting, listening to the engine and getting to know the Mini Clubman in John Cooper Works trim.

It was fun. How can cathartic driving not be? The Sport mode really dials this car up, like slipping it a Red Bull. You can summon 4,000 revs almost by breathing, it seems, and there is true increased performance with this setting. The engine is more spontaneous, the transmission more aggressive and the steering definitely more rigid. So much so, you’re advised to slug some caffeine before dropping it into this mode.

Under regular driving, it’s very agreeable--even a novice could master this six-speed fairly quickly--and the pedals and shifter have a nice feel to them. It’s easy to match the revs to shifting, and your feet begin to feel like part of the powertrain.

This is one of the tighter cars you can drive. It’s buttoned up in corners and quite sporty. But look out for uneven, pockmarked roads; they really throw this car. I actually felt the front wheels turn underneath me when I whacked one pothole. It doesn’t beat you up around town, and I liked the overall dynamic, but it’s not everyone’s flavor of driving, for sure.

I also question the point of the Clubman configuration. I mean, what do you really gain out of this setup? The third door on the side is more of like a hatch on ship than a true door. And the back seat is quite cramped. It’s only for the young or young at heart seeking adventure and camaraderie. Otherwise, it’s just a sardine can. The rear cargo area offers very little actual storage space. OK, I get it. This is a Mini, not a Suburban. I just don’t see much functionality in some of the parts that seem to be designed for that purpose.

Still, I like the car. It’s a riot to drive and I was happy to have it for a weekend during which I put plenty of miles on it. I loved the door handles, bonnet stripes and other Mini cues. With their light weight, iconic look and efficient performance, these cars are fun and always memorable to drive.

SENIOR EDITOR FOR NEWS BOB GRITZINGER: To paraphrase Steve Martin, this is one “wild and crazy†car, with enough power to send it sideways (front or rear), enough suspension tuning to keep it flat and happy through the most extreme cornering maneuvers, and enough functionality to make it at least a possible second-car option for some families.

At various points over the weekend, I was surprised by the car’s cargo capacity: I loaded up six storage boxes that I thought would never fit, and on another occasion I loaded two sets of golf clubs and two teenagers, without any complaint from the teens (one sitting shotgun, one in the backseat) that they felt in any way cramped for space. The side-access door really makes clambering in and out of the back seat a breeze.

The car’s a blast, especially if you remember to punch up the extra performance provided via the little Sport button nestled down there by the shifter. Amazing how one little button can so change the character of a car, but this one does it.

Top it all off with the Mini super-cute factor, and this car is a winner. Are there equal or better performers for the same money? Sure, but they’re not Minis, or BMWs.

2010 Mini John Cooper Works Clubman

Base Price: $31,700

As-Tested Price: $33,300

Drivetrain: 1.6-liter turbocharged I4; FWD, six-speed manual

Output: 208 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 192 lb-ft @ 1,850-5,600 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,888 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 28/27.2 mpg

Options: Laser blue metallic paint ($500); cold-weather package including power-folding mirrors, heated mirrors and washer jets, heated front seats ($500); Bluetooth, USB, iPod adapter ($500); black bonnet stripes ($100)

Read more: 2010 Mini John Cooper Works Clubman, an AW Drivers Log

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Luv my JCW Hardtop.

If I want to haul "stuff" I take the Expedition.:frown2:
    If I want to haul a$$, I take the MINI.:yesnod:
    If I want to enjoy getting there, I take the MINI.:yesnod:
    If I want to save gas, I take the MINI.:yesnod:
    If I want to find a parking spot, I take the MINI.:yesnod:
    If I want to put a smile on my face, I take the MINI.:D

Oh, I don't know, if I ....... , I take the MINI.:yesnod:

So far the MINI wins!:Thumbsup: