1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    View attachment 32587
    Sooooo... I'm in the process of looking at buying a MINI. The plan was to buy a build car and document it... However in my search I found Mario's GP2.. Now thinking about purchasing that one but I'm a bit torn for the following reasons:
    1) I enjoy building cars...and stuff (like this site)
    2) Its kind of personal when you build your own car and fun.
    3) Buying a built car... well has it really be taken car of? Run well its.
    NOTE - not buying from Mario (But I did send him an email tonight).

Thoughts? Also any thoughts on value of the car?
    List of Mods (all done by Mario)
    - Black Trim
    - Brand new front GP rotors and brakes (@ 23,500 miles)
    - Brand new rear GP rotors and brakes (@ 31,000 miles)
    - KW V3 Linear Coilovers (Settings are setup very low, but can be adjusted to your liking)
    - ALTA rear adjustable control arms
    - NM light weight wheels - 18x7.5 (1 rear wheel scuffed) + 1 Spare Wheel Never Mounted
    - 215/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Rubber - Brand New less than 100 miles
    - Forge Intercooler
    - ALTA intake
    - ALTA Hot pipe
    - Forge Diverter Valve
    - Added Euro left reverse light
    - m Qubed 46mm Big Hybrid Franken Turbo
    - m Qubed Big Valve - Fully Ported Head
    - ARP Rod Studs
    - ARP Head Bolts
    - Manic Stage 3 Tuned by Mario Palza - M Qubed
    - SPS OBD2 Map Switch (1-4 Setting)
    - NGK 1422 spark plugs
    - 3" Exhaust to Magnaflow Muffler
    - m Qubed Downpipe (Awesome Sound)
    - JBL door speakers and added flush mount tweeters
    - Alcantara Suede installed and French stitched to dash, lower inserts and A-Pillars
    - Added Secret Dash Compartment
    - Added Center armrest
    - OEM front and rear shadow rings
    - Carbon fiber door handles, gas cap, antenna, hood scoop
    - Added left reverse light
    - Coded for Windows up, Euro hazards, seat belts and radio
    - LED Halo DRL
    - Interior LED's Blue
    - HFS-3 Aquamist Methanol Kit
    - Craven methanol gauge
    - M7 Carbon Fiber front splitter
    - Harden lower motor mount
    - Custom R53 GP1 Style #0295 roof font (Drivers Side)

Some Pics:
    View attachment 32595 View attachment 32591 View attachment 32590 View attachment 32592 View attachment 32594 View attachment 32591 View attachment 32588
    View attachment 32586 View attachment 32588 View attachment 32590 View attachment 32591 View attachment 32593 View attachment 32594 View attachment 32595

2. tsmetjen

tsmetjen Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -0
    Wow

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Car has Alta Parts, they are suspect as garbage. Reason enough for me to shun the vehicle.

4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    So emailed with him last night, he was super responsive. :) Feedback basically on what he would do know if building again:
    1) Stayed with 2.5" exhaust verse the 3"
    2) Not the FrankenTurbo - instead use some of his new bits.

Regarding the Alta stuff - I'll have to look into that. Read about those concerns before. Luckily those are more "bolt" on stuff. :Cautious:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Sully I am with Nathan on the Alta stuff but you can replace that stuff with better parts. My question is If you were not looking at this GP. What is your preference R53 or R56? How bad did you want to do your own build?
    If you want a R53 and also had your heart set on doing your own build then I would pass and find a good R53 to start my build. If you wanted an R56 I think I would go with the GP. That seems like a very nice Mini.
    Hypocrite Alert!
    Most people here know I am not a turbo fan. But if you keep your oil changed and give it time to stabilize after a hard run you wont have any trouble(I know the bearings are water cooled, don't care you still let them stabilize)
    I Know a lot of people use Manic tines and like them. I have talked to one guy that swears by them but every time I hear of an R56 greaneding Manic seems to be the tune. This may be because people are over tuning their cars. Don't know. I do know I trust Jan at RMW.

There is a lot to be said about a car that is already built. If I got the GP there is a few things I would change but none if it would keep me from buying it.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Dave.0 may have something to say about my next statement.

If your going to do an R53 build you will be spending some coin to get it to the level of this GP. The up side is It would be rock solid.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    1) R53 I will own one at some point (love them). But I'm a strange bird, feel like that recipe is pretty much there regarding the tuning, so nothing really to do except buy it and follow the recipe.
    2) Wasn't really looking at a R56.. I actually was looking for a F56 body (Don't kill me!!). Primarily because we have very few people building those right now.. so new challenge. Also l like some of the cosmetic work people are doing to adjust some of the visual ques I'm not a fan of..

Ultimately - when I saw this, I thought... well pretty much the top of the R56 line, built. Provide me more time to work on the site and get it really "tuned" the way I want it. Lots left to do (working on the Garage & Market currently (all back-end... but if you go to your garage and edit your car, you will see some of the options that will be available to help sort/filter/search in the future).

So I'm a bit torn.. going to drive it later today. Purposely not bringing $$.. just want to get a feel for it, see if I really like it. Make sure its clean etc. Then think on it. :Cigar:
    Below to me is a pretty good looking F56

duell-ag-mini-f56-main-1021x574.jpg

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #8 MCS02, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    That is a good looking F56.The BMW crowd have been tuning that engine. You can get lots of power from the 2.0.

I think your going to like the GP. As far as the vote on valve I say some where between 20 and 25

9. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts on value and build vs buy ---
    - When paying with cash --- not financing, value is determined between buyer and seller. A finance co will use a popular guide, i.e., Kelly Blue Book, and any difference is up to the buyer to come up with. You need to consider this when it's time for you to sell.

- Buying someone else's build will be costly for someone --- either the builder takes a loss, or the buyer spends money he's not likely to recoup. Then there's questionable reliability --- how much do you know about what went into the mods --- workmanship stds, part reliability, wear-and-tear, etc. Yes, it will be an enjoyable novelty at first, but in the back of your mind --- questions --- what if's --- how long before --- etc.

- Building your own satisfies the need for accomplishing something significant, plus, it's done your way with no compromise. There's a certain amount of pride that shows when you drive it.

In my case, cosmetic mods have little or no value --- I want a "sleeper", something that looks like it's an old man's car (which I am), but has outstanding performance that no one expects (which I have). I bought an '07MCS in late '10 just to build it. After 7 years and about $40K worth of learning and mistakes, I almost have what I wanted. However, I know I'll never get my investment back. If I was to do it again, I'd start with an R53 (less initial investment), add a big turbo and go for max HP again --- more potential HP available. I like to think I have 30W blood --- thoroughly enjoy getting my hands dirty in the garage. I don't think I'd ever be as satisfied as I am now, if driving someone else's build.

In the long run, you need to make your own decisions, based on your own feelings, not someone else's. I hope you can dig deep enough to uncover them, and decide what you really want to do.

In the meantime, don't give up on the MA conversion --- it's starting to look pretty good.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yup, a first gen GP is the only MINI I would buy. I have a excellent 05 R53 JCW which has more HP and handles better than any GP including the stock 2nd Gen.

I don’t know Mario at all but his car above looks nice for a 2nd gen. I am not a fan of anything other then an R53 and that’s no secret. If you want a MINI that is already done that one is nice. You would have to get rid of all the ALTA shit parts, change the exhaust since it’s 3 inch and maybe correct the turbo. That not going to be cheap but it would be cheaper then doing an all “quality” parts complete build of an R53.

The process of doing your own build on a R53 is the best part of the process. Buying a car that is already done is kind of useless to me but others see it differently.

11. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thanks - good feedback and no worries on MA... that’s actually one of the drivers for me (today) buying a “built” car so i have time to finish out the site while solving and itch . Granted there is already some minor changes I want to do this GP.. if I get it. Regarding, me I’m a builder.. with the site migration the 88M5 stroker project is on hold and I’ve had limited time to help my buddy shove a LS into a 3500 Esprit (while doing a full rebuild... :). so this feels odd buying a built car. However I just got through driving it. Couldn’t stop laughing... it was a hoot.

12. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agree with this completely.. the design, build is the fun part. Regarding the car, been chatting with Mario, the exhaust was one of the first things he would change.. he would do 2.5 (lost power).

It was a fun a drive and pretty darn clean.. I have some thinking to do tonight. Oh - and I’ll end up with an R53 at some point. :Cigar:

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The best time to buy an R53 is now. If you put it off it may never happen. After all it is a 11 - 12 year old car now and the good ones are getting harder to find everyday.

The ultimate R53 would be a 2005 - 2006 virgin un-modded one with low miles and no crash / hurricane/ flood history.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    88M5 stroker project?

I would agree I would rather build my car. I did do the Runt but their is still a lot to do. When I added up every thing I wanted to do to it, it came to $15,000. RMW stroker, Aquamist, limited slip, that did not include running down an aero kit, paint job and new rims. The runt has 160K on it now I get the feeling soon I may have to do some major work if that happens I will turn it into a project car.
    I will say it has been nice Having the Helmet(except I am so picky about it stays covered most the time). Mark did a great job building it. Every time I get in it I know I have a good Mini. There is still things I plan on doing, RMW big valve head and once thats done Meth. Before the Dragon I plan on putting on braided steel brake lines, Hawk pads and new brake fluid. Its nice know I can just go drive it.
    So there is some pros and cons to it.

15. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - you can still find them if you look. I just missed a black on black S. No mods etc. was negotiating price and person called and gave her full price sight unseen.

16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yup... that will take some time to explain and I’ll post a car build on it... High level:
    1) stroked (or more in the process of)
    2) oversized valves
    3) ground control coil overs
    4) converted to black interior
    5) racing dynamics front lower
    And a lot more... had that car about 10 Years now. Currently the original, umolested ones are shooting up in value. Mine didn’t fit that mold... had about 170k on the engine before I pulled it out during a full restore that I did. Also helping a buddy shove a LS into an 88 Esprit. Also another long story... but a fun one. :)

17. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Though I love me some GP action (R53 or R56) if I were about to dump 25k on a 2nd gen GP it'd have to be bone stock. All those mods tell me it's been used and abused every time it's been driven. With the car you've chosen, I'd request all stock parts be put back on the car including the wheels (some folks hate em, but I love the 2nd gen GP wheels). All the years spent wrenching on and restoring old Chevy's with the ol' man have made me a stickler for clean "stock" cars. They hold value and stock is usually good enough for me, most modding I do is springs, intake and tint the windows and maintain the hell out of it. If you plan on a build, get a nice R53, or if you can find one a GP1. Or mod the hell out of an R56 S. To me Fish Face can't look good. Sorry. Keep your V8 Bimmer over one of those pigs :)

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Qik - don’t call my fish ugly... !!! LOL. :Jawdrop:

(Thats Sarcasim)

19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    In all seriousness, I wasn’t looking for this and I’ve only bought one other tuned car.. all my other ones I’ve tuned so I agree with you in many ways. In this case I know it was run hard at the start (their are video’s of tuning that I’m pulling together)... that said I’m also someone who likes to work on things myself. A well built and maintained engine can run hard. In this case it was “short” sprints. No track racing, AutoX etc. Its really hard for me to buy something and not work it over. The 03 you saw when I met you is bone stock and its killing me.. but I have to put the 88 back together before I can work another one (plus put fuel injection on the boys mini RZR).. I went to drive the GP so I could get a “feel” for what a built MINI is like.. frankly, I had a blast. Interior is tight, engine is documented, has a history and its already modded GP.. Between getting MA site migrated and rolling again, plus finishing the stroker engine.. it didn’t leave much time to build a MINI from scratch. It does leave enough time for me to mod.. the modded MINI. Don’t worry - I’ll build one from scratch.. and agree with your points. Those are the the logical choices. :Bag:

20. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    The 3rd Gen interior is A+. That's one thing I've liked about them when I've had one as a loaner. I like everything about the Gen 3 interior except for the cheap looking fuel gauge and the window switches being put on the door, though I'm sure that's easy to get used to. At the end O the day, it's still a MINI and it feels, though a little softer, just like the older Gens. More so 2nd than 1st. The first gen is a rattle trap because of it that original go kart feel. You post pics of your MINI yet? Your 03' V8 is awesome stock or not.