Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen 22mm, yes?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Jul 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    While waiting for the antenna adapter to be delivered, I decided to remove the alarm system cover on the headliner between the boot edge & sunroof so that I could remove the antenna base...

There is a H-U-G-E nut holding the two wires to the antenna base's underside...

I'm guessing perhaps 22mm, which is a size I don't have (of course!)...

Google isn't being cooperative with me this morning, so I was hoping to get size verification before heading out to buy the socket needed...

Thanks in advance! :Thumbsup:

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes a 22mm will work, you can use an 02 sensor socket to get around the wires if you need.

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Way!

My goal is to remove the antenna base and drill a small hole on the boot-side to accomodate the wiring for the magnetic Sirius antenna.

I plan on using either a rubber grommet or black silicone sealant to make sure it's waterproof.

I've read posts about replacing the antenna with the Sat/Nav antenna, but the posts all seem to be 2nd Gen (or newer) and none for 1st Gen.

I would prefer NOT to have the magnetic antenna, but not sure of other options.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I just used a regular socket and pulled the wires through the square drive hole. I didn't use the ratchet drive just my hand gripping the side of the socket. When you put it back on.... don't over tighten, as there is a special washer with teeth. I just tightened until the rubber gasket flared out sealed on the roof. Those "teeth" on the washer can put little dents from the underside of the roof if tightened too aggressively.....:D

5. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the tip about aggressive tightening... :cool:

6. claancy

claancy New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #6 claancy, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    I took apart the antenna base on my '06 and was able to fit my XM antenna inside it.

Edit: Whoops, just realized this thread was almost a year old. Sorry.