1st Gen R53 Cooper S 250-260 WHP on a m45 Blower..

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Thumper460, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well the r53s have been out for a while now as we all know..

New cams, new head design, new blowers.. blah blah.. it never ends.
    Remember when we were all trying to hit the 200 WHP ceiling??

Well maybe now is the time to post up your engines 250-260 WHP cars. Let us know what it took to get there and where you are in the US.

With out going totally nutz... just post WHP, type Dyno, and where you live and Mods.
    example: 267 WHP, Dyno Jet Tampa. 15%-Head-cam-exhaust-tune !! cool??
    cool??

Thanks...................................................

Just asking........................

Thumper

2. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    subscribed to this!

Could people possibly also post what they are tuning or got tuned with? I am new to Mini's so I am VERY interested in getting my fingers into tuning software for them!

3. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Post pix/details of your setup pleassssee :biggrin5:

4. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    What...??? No One??

Thumper

5. ThumperMCS

ThumperMCS New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Corporate Accountant
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    So far... ONE has come forward. ( and he doesnt post on sites) !! So that is two in Europe and only one here??

Got to be more out there?? Yes??

Just post the WHP- Type Dyno - location and mods to get there!!
    Please only the m45 ( stock OEM type SC) as we know those turbos.. flat FLY!!

Just asking................................

Thumper

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
  8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL dot feel inadequate... when you are in front..LOL Yes?? 247 is rocking...!!

Any more??

Thumper

9. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well... after a few days on a subject that would usually be rocking.. there are no 260+ WHP cars with the m45, no NOS,water-meth or turbo's out there!! At least not that want/would to post on any sites...

I posed this question on 3 different sites.. one overseas and two here in the US. Seems that statements on having a LOT of 260+ cars on the roads is just another "pipe dream" ( although maybe PIPE DREAM wouldn't be the correct analogy..lol)

It seems that the usual modified car with the usual bits ( head/cam/exhaust/tune) is still in the 230-245 WHP mark. And those cars are at a minimum. Where most of us are running around 210-230 mark.

I feel that because of Internet Banter the highly modified 260 cars just dont want to get run thru the ringer with all the 'back and forth' that the MINI community has become. I was contacted by a few 260 cars, however they said NOT to post stats because of this.

It is a shame that we have become this... !! Where did all the good ideas go?? ( still there just wont speak up) Where did all the innovation go?? ( still there just wont speak up)

Well I will just stay with a solid platform and add Nitrous for the add'l power I want. It isnt any good for any Track applications ( need a HUGE Bottle..LOL) but is fun to drive, starts and goes every day. Maybe some day, as time passes and new drivers in the r50/r53s are out, this Internet hammering will pass on to a more friendly place where sharing an idea doesn't turn into a 10 page slam post?? You think??

Thanks Y'all

Just me......................................

Thumper

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    :rolleyes:

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    It begs the question: Would you rather nitrous for quick bursts of HP, maybe get above 250 for brief periods of time, or have constant power, just south of 250?

In the end, 250 is just a number, but I suspect it wasn't chosen arbitrarily (If you dropped the number to 240, and maybe Nate starts the thread, the outcome is radically different). There are plenty of cars of hovering around the 240-250 HP range, with the combo you mentioned, but yeah, above 250 is more difficult (although if I put my car on a more favorable dyno I'd get above 250). That being said, there are cars out there above 250 with that combo.

But most people shooting to get above 250 are aiming even higher--250 is kind of no mans land, because it's not guaranteed to hit with that combo, and the next step up gets most people way above that number....There are reliable ways to get there, and not so reliable ways to get there.

To be honest, I've seen many cars with head, header, cam and exhaust mods. I haven't seen a single car running nitrous. Not saying there's anything wrong with nitrous, but I suspect the majority of people are looking for consistent power rather than short bursts. Just my .02 cents....

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yeah.. I agree. It is all on what you want. I think the younger generations have the taste for the turbo's and SC's where myself being old.. has done that an now it is reliable HP and when I want to play, I just turn on the bottle. LOL

I also agree there might be more 230-250 cars out there. My feeling above on Banter, is what I feel keeps a lot of good HP cars from posting. We all know about Dynos.. calibrations..atmosphere .. time of the week .. ect. Like you said if you search you could find better ( higher reading dynos).. I feel that most drivers go to where the Tune is, and is left with THOSE numbers. Not too many will go to this dyno or that for a higher reading, yes?? This is why I dont try to analyze anyone's results. It is what it is!!

Now if we were all in the same town, and then big HP cars were all over ( and they are NOT) and dyno numbers were all off the same dyno ( and they are NOT) then there might be discussions... and engagements!! You bet!! Yes??
    But then I feel, the more people will be building to match those numbers of the bad guys.
    Being here in the US where there are thousands of miles apart... who is to discredit or deflect someones results??

Oh well... maybe this will help some one looking for those high numbers to realize after the basic 40-75 WHP increases.. the rest is at a few HP at a time!! Yes??

Happy Easter..

Just me.....................................

Thumper

13. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We've got a few cars with that kind of power with the M45 and stock compression. The problem is that it is very expensive, and very loud.

I think another reason you don't find many people wanting to post about is cause people just want to rip them apart. Also they know the car really makes that power so they don't need to prove it on the forums.

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #14 Thumper460, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    LOL.. Way, I agree 110%. I feel THAT is the main reason.. yes??

Good Easter to ya..

Just me..............................

Thumper

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it is a younger vs older mindset when it comes to the bottle. There are lots of Honda's out there owned by younger folks that have Nitrous. What it comes down to is the intended use of the vehicle. MINIs, for the most part, don't lend themselves to be a straight line car, not that a Honda really does either, but that is where a decent sized contingent in the Honda community have gone with their cars. There are a few out there that did or still are running MINIs a 1/4 mile at a time but they are the vast minority when it comes to the Modded MINI community.

In the end this make is more difficult to reach the 250 whp level that this thread is looking for.

While M/A is more friendly than most forums there is still this underlying nasty theme that runs through the community as evidenced by this same subject on MINITorque.

There are some high powered 250WHP+ MINIs out there. The people that own them for the most part have been so beat up that frankly they have moved away being forum contributors. It's one thing to question and ask for details, it's another to reach down to depths of personal attacks that threads such as this often descend into. I don't blame those that have achieved this level from not wanting to be flamed.

16. llabmik2

llabmik2 New Member

May 11, 2012
    Fruita, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I made 260whp and 209ish wtq I want to say or 206wtq maybe. I forgot its been a year. Jan can correct it. This is on the stock exhaust and a fully built RMW motor with stock compression.

Then I made 240 at 6k elevation and 12lbs of boost and the Vipec.

17. Helix Wildebeest

Helix Wildebeest New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I did 267 on a stock motor with over 80k on the clock. The head it EXTREAMLY lightly port matched and thats it. I have a decatted stock manifold, 2.25" exhaust, one ball muffler, +5% pulley (larger), 650cc EV14 injectors, custom piggyback controller, 18psi boost. This was on Helix's Mustang dyno. Oh and a 60-1 turbo in the rear 8^).

I have since reworked the vacuum lines and turbo controller so I have more midrange torque/boost. I need to redyno and then get a ported head/pistons.

18. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    lol

19. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Wow a 60-1 is kinda big for these things wouldnt ya say?

20. Braminator

Braminator Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :popcorn: