Exterior 1st Gen 3m Paint Defender - mixed results

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Standard Dude, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Standard Dude

Standard Dude New Member

May 26, 2011
    Mt Carmel CSC
    Powell
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    #1 Standard Dude, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Started spraying the hood and fairly quickly the product would collect around the nozzle and fall onto the hood in clumps. I left the clumps alone hoping they would level out, but they did not. I continuously sprayed and did not stop as per intructions. I cheaped out when buying the kit and skipped on the comfort grip spray trigger. I wonder if that would have made a difference in spray-ability. I do believe this product has potential and am willing to try again as I was very happy with the rest of the coverage - it has a nice shine and feel to it. Will update after peeling off and respraying.
    Pre-spray masking:
    photo1.jpg
    Wet clumps:
    photo2.jpg
    More wet clumps:
    photo3.jpg
    Nozzle build-up:
    photo4.jpg
    Dry clumps:
    photo5.jpg
    Dry clumps:
    photo6.jpg

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................I'll just bump and wait for the paint/body/fender people to come along.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I look forward to your next attempt. I am planning to do mine as well. I was thinking of doing the whole hood so I don't have the line.

4. SooperCooperInfo

May 31, 2009
    Retired aircraft salesman
    Land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    How many cans did it take for the hood?

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Does it say anything about can temps for best results?

6. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    http://3mauto.com/media/pdf/paint_defender_DFU2.pdf

The directions don't reference a can temperature but do specify an ambient air temp between 65*-90* F. The instructions state that a continuous spray will lessen the likelihood of this buildup, but they also say that any resulting clumps should even out during the drying process - which doesn't seem to be the case.

I read a few reviews of this product, thinking I might use it on my new Countryman when it arrives. I found the biggest complaint to be the buildup around the nozzle. For some, as seen above, this buildup can result in large droplets forming and falling onto the surface to be coated.

Looking forward to OP's second attempt to see if this is something I should attempt vs. paying someone to apply a clear bra.

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    How quickly does the nozzle buildup happen? If not too quickly, is it possible to monitor the buildup during the spraying process and wipe it from the nozzle before it becomes too large and drops on the surface? Just a thought.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Contact 3M and maybe tell them you want to give it another shot.... You are doing a DIY on a respected automotive forum and really want to post a successful project... Maybe they will offer a goodwill gesture and send some extra canisters for a "do over"...

Suggestion... Maybe wrap some absorbent material around the cannister up close to the nozzel... Maybe the buildup will be absorbed into the tee shirt or sponge etc.... Kind of looks like it builds up on the can until gravity takes over.... If you can get it to absorb... It might not drop on the treated surface...

Anyway... My $0.02....:D

9. Standard Dude

Standard Dude New Member

May 26, 2011
    Mt Carmel CSC
    Powell
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Half the hood took half a can.
    Ambient temperature for my attempt was 70 degrees
    Fairly quickly - within 15 seconds of starting to spray

10. Standard Dude

Standard Dude New Member

May 26, 2011
    Mt Carmel CSC
    Powell
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Tried to contact several times on their website. Keep getting auto response: "Unable to submit your request. Please, try again later"

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmm...
    Wonder if that started happening 15 seconds after the product went live...

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
  13. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Try immersing the can in semi hot water to warm up the liquid before you spray. It made my plastidip easier to use. Oh yeah, then shake the hell out of the can before you spray.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This will absolutely fix the build up, clumping issue.

When spraying anything from a rattle can I always set the cans out in the sun for a few hours. The thicker the product (undercoating, PlastiDip) the warmer I like the can. Warm liquids flow better that cold just think about maple syrup.

When I try this product later this year I am going to do even spraying but I am going to check the spray tip after each pass. The fan (spray pattern) should be between 8 and 12 inches wide. When they say continuous spray they just don't want you stopping half way across what you are spraying because it will leave a ridge.

In my many years of painting things, including cars, I have learned never try to cover too much too fast. It will always lead to runs and build up spots.

Many light thin wet warm coats of any product will dry smooth as glass every time.

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I agree. As long as the spray is still wet stopping to clear the nozzle is a non event. I saw his car this morning and without the clumps this stuff looks great!