Suspension Brakes 1st Gen 50 questions on suspension

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by CurrysMini, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok maybe not 50 but...I'm looking to buy some coilovers and 1. question which are a good bang for your buck? I'm looking to spend $1500 to $2000 on them. The car is a daily driver and I'm doing my 1st auto cross this weekend. So I will be doing that at lest 2 days out of the month. Do I also need adjustable chamber plates and rear adjustable control arms as well when I get the coilovers? And if so on both, are they something I can do at a later date or is it better to do all at once. After spending the money on the coilovers I know it will be a little tough to then talk the wife into letting me buy more.:frown2:

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Get w/ Keith at Werkin MINI.

IMO You will be hard pressed to fit GOOD coilovers, camber plates, and rear control arms into your budget.

If you want something you install once and forget about then; AST w/ swift or Hyperco springs, Vorshlag camber plates, and h-sport control arms. Once you install that, you will have nothing to worry about, and enjoy the best of both worlds! You will be a little over your budget, but it will be money very well spent on VERY good products.

Do it all at once, while it is all apart.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Why do you think you need coilovers?

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    What gonna help you in autocross is the alignment and you not getting it from stock set up. Adjustable camber plates up front and adjustable links on lower rear. I have the JCW suspension with the above and its great!

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Agree with above. If your price range was $3000, I'd say coilovers, adjustable rear arms, adjustable endlinks, and adjustable camber plates would be a good idea.

For about $1000, you can get lowering springs ($230), adjustable lower rear arms ($240), camber plates ($440), and poly front control arm bushings ($80). And you've got money left over for new tires and an alignment.

6. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lower...:D
    As for the budget I was looking to spend around 2K for the coilovers. Then if I need the others I'd buy them next. Wasn't real sure about what I needed. But Keith shot me and email so I will get back with him...

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Lower is not always better for AutoX..........is this more for stance?

8. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Lower stance can be handled by careful selection of springs. I would be careful about the upgrades is you want to auto-X much. You can easily put yourself in a class where you have no chance without spending a BIG bunch more money.

To me, the benefit of coilovers is corner balancing the car so that you have even weight on each end of an axle. This is a big step in auto-x, and could cost you a bunch of points.

You will be farther ahead by carefully planning the changes that will keep you in a class where you can compete. Look at the rules and see what can be done to lighten the car, and what mods are realistic.

I see more folk going to coilovers just because it sounds cool and you can change ride height. Then they start whining about the additional noise, or the harshness, or whatever.

Just do the research. Know both sides of the coin before spending the bucks. See if you can find someone who has done the change, and see if you can drive the car or at least go for a ride.

Good luck, and drive fast...

9. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Great points