Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S 60k maintenence ideas and a rthymic squeak during idle

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by andyroo, Feb 15, 2011.

1. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm coming up on 60k miles on my 2005 R53 and I'm feeling...i dunno...responsible. Is there any maintenence worth doing now? School me.

Plugs have about 25k on them, supercharger belt I think is about the same, i got the car used just after that. Nothing major has been done to the car.

Suspension and brakes are taken care of.

On that note, I'm getting an odd rthmyic squeak from the front passenger side when the car is idling. Can't hear it even just over 1k rpm, but it was fairly pronounced yesterday and the day before. It was a bit colder this morning and it was almost imperceptable but I could just barely hear it by the time I got to work.

So something with the tensioner? Time for a new belt? Crank pulley? I'm not much of a motor guy and not a supercharger guy. Why did the noise (mostly) go away?

I have a 15% pulley and a shorter belt.

Thanks for any help.

- Andrew

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Motor mount is probably going or gone. Check for nasty black fluid.

Trans fluid could probably stand to be changed at that mileage. I like Redline MTL if you have a limited slip.

3. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. It was dark when i popped the hood last night to listen for the noise so i didn't look for a leaking motor mount. I am surprised it's lasted this long.

No LSD unfortunately. I do feel like the tranny fluid could stand to be changed.

- andrew

4. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    the squeek is the belt, Change the belt plugs and tranny fluid
    I personally dont like redline i think its too thin. I get mtl from toyota its a high quality oil.
    The motor mount is likely bad if its a 05 or 06 if its early car probably fine.

5. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    sounds like i'll definitely do the tranny fluid and supercharger belt.

for my own reference i'm linking myself k-huevo write-up on the tranny fluid
    [ame=http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474]Manual Transmission Fluid Change How-To - Lone Star Mini Club Forums[/ame]

from what i can tell the OEM or Redline MTL will be fine regardless of whether or not i have an LSD?

- andy

6. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    worth doing the drive belt too?

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Doing your trans fluid at 60k is unnecessary: you'd be wasting your money. If and when you do a clutch, change it then, otherwise don't bother. The 60k service includes things like air filter change (or clean if you have a life-of-the-car filter), cabin air filter change, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, check power steering fluid and top up with CHF 11S, check shocks for leaks and brake lines for cracks, lube your aftermarket swaybar bushings (if you have one), change drive belt and check pulleys for bearing wear (that's where your squeak may be coming from), lube hood latches and door hinges with white lithium grease. As always keep fresh, high-quality motor oil in the car with a good filter. I find that most major brands of filter are ok with the exception of the Purolator filter which supplies a bad and mis-sized cap o-ring. At Helix we use MINI oil and filters.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Check both the idler pulley and tensioner for the sqeaking. My tensioner damper went out at 30K and the pulley was getting a bit loose at that time. The idler pulley is less likely to be a problem, but they can go bad also. I went with the NAPA 535 belt for my car with 15%. Starts out a bit tight but it sure hasn't given me any problems. Might as well change it out as long as you are there.....:D

I too don't think you need to worry about the trans fluid. The OEM stuff is really good. If you want to change it go with the OEM stuff. I too think the Redline stuff is to thin. Didn't like the shifting feel with it. OEM is much smoother.

9. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My gearbox does feel a little chunky, not very smooth to be honest. I will probably do the fluid, maybe with the OEM stuff.

I haven't heard the squeaking since i posted actually. Weird. I'll take a closer look at things this weekend and try to update.

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the comments.

- Andrew

10. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you killed the mouse! :D

Agree that MTL feels a little thin, especially when it's fresh. Disagree that it's not needed at 60k, but it's just an opinion.

11. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mouse, errr....squeak is back, hopefully new drive and supercharger belts will do it but i'll check everything.

Where can i get OEM tranny fluid?

12. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    also strongly disagree its not needed. Would not use redline after using it in my gearbox. Toyota sells an oil thats really good i just cant think of the name right now...

13. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Take a quick peek at the crank pulley. If not torqued properly, it will give off some squeaks at idle. Not hard to do with the fender liner off.

14. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI, if you're gonna re-torque the crank pulley bolt, pull it all the way out, clean the bolt, and reapply the blue loctite. That bolt was a PITA for me to torque. I had to take the fender liner off, then put the wheel back on and put the car on the ground, and then have someone stand on the brakes while I torqued the bolt. I think it was harder 'cause I have an LSD, too.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Just curios about how & why you do not like the Redline tranny oil? What is different about the Toyota sourced stuff?

If it was my car I'd be changing the fluid, but that is just me. Ralph sees a whole lot of MINIs & knows his stuff. I respect his opinion.

16. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Depending on the build date of your Getrag box, there is one of three specific oils engineered by the factory (or more accurately, for the factory: one by Texaco, and two probably by Castrol). Don't say you heard it here, but aftermarket is not always better. The truth of the matter is that, under normal use, a Redline or other 'botique' gear oil will probably not cause a trans failure. If replacing your trans fluid makes you feel good, go for it. Personally I'll save my money for something that will help the car.

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks Eric, sorry I called you Ralph. :crazy:

I totally agree with what you are saying about oem vs boutique fluids. My Getrag has an LSD & I'm afraid of putting in something other than the oem spec fluid for fear of harming the LSD.

As far as changing the fluid or not goes, Yes it makes me feel good. I also believe that there is a fair bit of swarf in the fluid from gears, cogs & other tranny widgets wearing.

Is the oem fluid available for the home handyman to use or does one have to buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff? My dealer wants $180 to change the tranny. Yikes!

18. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    You can get it in a 5 liter jug from MINI. That's 2.5 times what you need and it'll cost you a bundle: about $160. You might be able to convince the parts guy to decant you two liters and sell you just that. You'll have to provide the last 7 digits of your VIN to determine the correct oil for your car. If it's a really early car, the dealerships only get it in 5 gallon jugs, but our local dealership will sell it in smaller increments, so yours might too.

19. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Does Motul offer anything worth considering?

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks Eric! Guess I'll have to swing over to the dealer with a couple of quart bottles & a needy look on my face. :smilewinkgrin: