7/20 BMC AutoX

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by B.A.D., Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
  2. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I am going to try to make this.

3. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    how strict with the rules??? Club strict or SCCA Strict? Do I need to double check my helmet is with in specs? I am going to get the car ready this evening to race tomorrow.

4. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully Allen will see this and respond. Here is what I found on their website

We only have a few basic requirements, but they are very important. During the registration period, please have your car ready for tech inspection. While no special equipment is required (other than helmet), it’s up to you to ensure your car is in good working order. We'll check your seat belts, wheel bearings, brake fluid, battery tie downs, etc. We'll also check for loose items in the car that might interfere with your driving (remove floor mats, coffee cups, loose change, etc) so clean out your interior and trunk the night before. If you brought a helmet (loaner helmets are available), make sure helmet meets the current or two immediate preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA, K or M), or SFI standards 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A. A roll bar or additional restraints are not required. If Tech declares a car unsafe, it will not be able to run and the driver's entry fee will be refunded. Tech will put a sticker on your car and your helmet. It is the driver's responsibility to make sure they have their car ready. You must have a sticker on both your helmet and car before your first run.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    From what Allen has told me they are not crazy strict like SCCA as far as classing & mods go.

6. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Had a blast today! I high recommend running one of the remaining events. Great to see Lil Pigg out on the track and not ashamed to Jason ran better times then me. Also had fun riding along with Allen on two of his laps.

Pretty happy with my times for it being my first time out and running on the stock all seasons. Got some ideas of things to do different for the next time.

7. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I had a great time. The best part is the car made it home under its own power :). I was surprised on how big the track was once you started racing. I had raced karts on there before but never a car. See you next time.

8. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
  9. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Glad you guys had fun and Lil Pigg had the perfect line!

10. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
  11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice video Jason. Your car was made for a go-kart track.

Brain does your GTI corner with the inside wheel all hiked up like GTI's of old?

12. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
  13. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so, but that could have also been due to me being caught up in the sound of the all seasons screaming for mercy as I forced them to not so good things through most of the corners (really need to remember slower is faster when I'm actually on the course).

14. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Jason's car had issues on his last lap, there was some celebration smoke as he crossed the finish line :)

Brian you were very consistent in the afternoon, that is really good. Most people work really hard on something then screw up everything else when they are starting out. Being able to put down very similar laps over and over again is a sign you are starting with a good base.

Having done this for around ten years I have to say driving the Miata was the most fun I have ever had on an AutoX course. Both my MINI and WRX pushed unless provoked. The Miata is very balanced and it was fun to experience oversteer and not spin. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to catch the car when it slides, but was pleasantly surprised at how naturally it came to dab the opposite lock and keep going.

Last thing is neither video really show how hard (and nerve racking) the corner after the cone slalom is. You are going downhill and the turn falls away really fast. I think the next event they will go the opposite direction which makes that turn much easier because you come in from the bottom and there is no straight to gain speed going into it.

15. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My problem is I ran out of Second gear. The course was just a tad to long for my setup. I think I may have a plan to lower the rpms for the car. If it works out then I should be about to drop about 1200 rpms and be quicker. The good news I didn't blow any engines and the car Mini is just fine. I get out of control a little bit sometimes. :)

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    18" wheels will drop your rpm down but good. :wink:

Glad you didn't hurt LiL PIGG.

17. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking 19s Chuck but 18s might work. I run 10s and 12s will fit so I am going to do some math (don't laugh) and try to figure out how much benefit 12s would be. 13s are a little to tight but maybe a 13 with a low profile tire may work. Lucky for me I have access to 12s and 13s. I need to give Allen a run for his money at the next BMC autocross. If this plan works then it will help with the other autocrossing that I do.

on a side note am I the only one that looks at the BMC letters differenty.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No you're not. BMC was great before Leyland farked them up.

19. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I am going to miss the next event so I figure the whole MOM group will be there :)