$800 hand crafted knives from old cars and scrap metal, multi-year waiting list

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rkw, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Cool video. And great looking knives.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    My dad used to make knives out of leaf springs. He was a sailmaker and had to make his own knives, because they weren't available commercially.

A sailmaker's knife is sharp on the straight side of the blade. The curved side of the blade is used to crease the canvas. Other sailmakers liked his blades, so he made quite a few.

4. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    In DneprDave's posting his dad made knives because the specific type he needed wasn't available. I understand that. However because you make a product by hand, charge $800.00 for it and it will do no more or less than my Buck, it doesn't make sense. How much would a custom made tooth pick be worth if I spent 100 hours sanding it from a log?

5. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It might be time to order a garasuki from these guys.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #6 Metalman, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
    Because hipster's just gotta make knives... It's a thing now...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NBAQCZjk8"]A Day in the Life of Knife Maker, Chelsea Miller - YouTube[/ame]

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI"]Maker Series: Artisanal Firewood - This Is That - YouTube[/ame]

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSmaFAuaH4"]How to sharpen pencils - YouTube[/ame]

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The right price for something is whatever you can get a sucker to pay....
    An $800 knife with a story explains WHY MINI is trying to change their formula from a great car to a good car with a story....the story is free or cheap, but it increase your margins, and even if the product us inferior, folks still love it....
    A product with a story usually has a limited audience and therefore limited lifespans for said company....some outliers like ZIPPO and their lighters have proven it can be done long-term, but like I stated, a rarity in marketing.

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I have lots of art and sculpture in my house. None of it does any more than a $5 piece of crap from Target would. But I like to look at it, and appreciate the talents of the artists who made them. May not be worth what they cost to everyone... but they are to me.

12. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't think theres anything wrong with these knives. They look like they're well crafted, and they are a special piece for showing off in case you have a fancy catering event or some sort of thing like that.

As an apprentice sushi chef I wouldn't mind owning one since it is my trade, and 800 dollars for a knife is actually pretty damn cheap. Some japanese knives made by a master can be up to 2-3 thousand dollars, they are show knives, not necessary but nice to have.

13. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i can't emphasize enough... 800 dollars for a knife is mid range.

If you just grab a piece of shite henkels knife for your occasional home prep (what like 1 onion??) it'll do just fine and hold up an edge. BUT if you're a prep cook at a busy restaurant you will eventually want to spend the money for a damn finely forged steel. Why? cause it pretty much does all the work for you, 64hrc just dropping down on anything and all you feel is the top of the cutting board.

My most expensive knife is a basic Kiritsuke. It was the best 250 $ i ever spend for my chef equipment. It holds a sharp ass edge for a good 2 weeks, and thats without even strutting it with leather after a long day of slicing. Thats what 250 bought, White #2 steel which rusts and has a basic finish. No fancy polishing and not the best steel nor the best forging method. So this is why I say I can't emphasize it enough... Any sort of crafting will be expensive because of the effort and time put into it, its not easy, and it takes a lot of care therefore the price is high even though its less than 2 pounds of steel.

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Even mainstream retailers such as Williams-Sonoma sell culinary knives in this price range. For a knife that's custom made to order with meticulous manual labor, these guys could have priced it much higher than they do (as evidenced by the waiting list).

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Quality & art are not cheap. Buy the best once & enjoy. Those guys are great.