Pre Migration A few small changes underway

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Working on a few things that you may or may not notice.

1. Removed that floating box when you first come to the site that encourages people to register. The one that goes away as soon as you log in. Instead there is a notice block that encourages guests to register. They will see this on every page. As a registered member of the site as soon as you log in this notification block will go away.

2. Added an ad location that will ONLY be displayed to guests to the site i.e. those not registered or logged in. This is between the 1st and 2nd post of threads. You will NOT see this if logged onto the site.

3. If you have never posted but are registered there is a small notification block at the top of the page to encourage you to post. You can close this by clicking on the red X in the upper right of the box.

4. If you are registered and have posted before but not in the last 30 days there is a small notification block at the top of the page to encourage you to post. You can close this by clicking on the red X in the upper right of the box.

5. Like | Share buttons. buttons. These are still undergoing testing, look for a detailed writeup of what they do and why they can be helpful soon.

This is still undergoing testing and implementation. If you are logged in and see that aforementioned ad block between post 1 and 2 please let me know.

The notices added are subtle and not in your face. They can be closed. While I'm trying to encourage people that have not been active to be a little more so I'm trying not to be jerk about it.

As always your comments, pro, con or whatever are encouraged.

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the site Nate! Your doing a great job.

Also thanks to all the Mods.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Ditto!!

4. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I like the like buttons!

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I did notice that when you hover on the share button that the Facebook link is a bit cut off.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What browser and version please?

What OS?

Mobile, desktop or laptop? If desktop or laptop what is the screen resolution
    ?

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK that's weird......now it's bigger and not cut-off. The block was cutting right through Facebook and the font/box was smaller too.

Work computer with XP Pro, IE8, 1280X1024

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    IE6, 7 and 8 do some funky things at times.

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Thanks for all that you do for us, Nathan. WOW! I really need to go to computer school as I haven't the foggiest idea what y'all are talking about. Please don't try to explain as I need to go to computer terminology school first to then be able to under stand and comprehend the computer instructor.:lol: Keeping up with changes in medical practice and my other interests takes all of my time.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    All is fine at home computer.......FF3.6

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I like the changes. I know a couple of years ago, I was trying to sell something and I tried to post on TotalMINI and you had to have 5 posts before you could post to the Classifieds. I didn't think it was a bad idea. The point was to encourage people to become familiar with you first.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    One other thing that has been happening lately is when I attempt to post a quick reply by hitting the "post quick reply" button it instead takes me to the advanced reply page and shows the "must wait for 30 seconds error". If I go back to the thread and refresh the page my post always shows up.

running XP home and FF3.6

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The quick reply button is redundant, there should be a Quick Reply block at the end of the the page where you can just start typing in.

I really should pull that redundant button...

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That is the one I am talking about....sorry. When I finish typing my post in the QR box at the bottom I hit the Post quick reply button and some times it has taken me to the advanced reply page with the 30 second warning message at the top.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I pulled that redundant Quick Reply button. Been meaning to do that for quite some time.

I've seen what you are reporting only once or twice myself. Often it is due to double click on the button. Next time it happens send me a PM please with the approx time. I'll dig in the logs to see if I can find anything.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  17. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I love the Like buttons and the layout of the site. Furthermore I like that it Tapatalk native so I can use it on my iPhone with ease.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Like and Share are now buttons in the M/A style.

Props to kittymini for the graphics work on creating these buttons.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Made a few small changes that I think are for the better today.

I opened the site a bit more for guests. There was a time when the thinking was that not allowing guests to the site to view attached images would in turn get them to register to view those images. There is also the thought that allowing these to be seen by guests increased bandwidth use and therefore cost.

With the cost of bandwidth so low these days and the quality of the servers being so much stronger I felt that why not allow guests to see attachments. Sites that are competitors do not see things the same way. Being Motoring Alliance is the friendly MINI forum, why not be a good host and allow guests to view attachments.

Also did the same with the Library. There is a lot of good content in there. Why not be the good guy and let guests see how great this site is and most all it has to offer.

Hopefully more people will realize just how friendly we are with these gestures and register.

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good to me!