ABF|MYNES R56 TA Podiums @ Cal Speedway **FIRST PLACE FINISH**

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by mike@MynesTuned, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's with great enthusiasm that we announce our R56 (Little Beast's) first Time Attack victory by taking 'FIRST PLACE" at Cal Speedway

With only one practice run in the morning, Lil Beast went out for blood this morning... this time, it took First Place in the Stock FWD Class.

Redline Time Attack Season Results

Here are our Stats:
    = Our best time 1.59.147 (First Place) STOCK FWD Class.

For comparison purpose, the STREET FWD's winning time is 1.56 (400HP Ford Focus); the MODIFIED FWD Winning time is 1.58 (another Ford Focus).

Mods:
    - 2009 MINI Cooper-S JCW
    - ABF Upgraded IC
    - Mynes Custom Tune
    - ABF's Spec Eibach custom lowering Spring (Prototype)
    - ABF Spec Racing Pads
    - ABF Custom Turboback exhaust
    - OS Racing Clutch
    - OS Racing Diff
    - Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 tires
    - Enkei racing wheels
    - VP 103 Racing fuel

Driver: Dez Ballard

Shout outs go to our awesome driver (Dez), the ABF Team and the Mynes Team for all their hard work in this spectacular win... And of course, many thanks to our sponsors Yokohama, OS Giken Racing and Enkei for their awesome parts :D

IMG_0894.jpg IMG_0896.jpg

Event Recaps:
    - We spent all day Saturday finalizing the car, getting it adjusted and corner-balanced for the event.
    - We drove the car 50 miles from the shop to the race track on the Advan AD08 tires. Filled it with race gas at the track and ran on the same set of tires.
    - Our R56 drew a lot of attention throughout the entire Sunday. Even in the practice laps, we knew the car was going to perform well b/c it was turning well and running extremely well on the straight aways.
    - Quite a few Vette and Evo competitors came over to us to see what we've done to the car. When they found out that it was pretty much STOCK, they were in awe :w00t:
    - We decided on the STOCK FWD class b/c it has full interior and the 140 treadwear street performance tires.
    - Only two other FWD cars were faster than us (they were in the Street Class). Both are Ford Focus putting down close to 400HP... Their best times were 1.57

This is our second Time Attack event with this car. First time we took 4th with bone-stock parts, now with properly engineered parts and some customization, it's finally paying off. More improvements will be made to this car in the off season so expect to see more Wins from Lil Beast next year in the Time Attack Circuit :D

Cheers.
    Mike

2. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Congrats!:Thumbsup:

Do something like this with an R53, develop some bullet-proof, track-ready parts, and you might just find yourselves in the middle of a growing market...

3. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hmm, there's a pleathora of items for the R53, parts include:
    - header, exhaust, Stage heads, cam shafts, injectors, tune, Turbo Conversion from the current SC unit, twin-charge units, built blocks, etc...

One of the ABF|Mynes customers ran his Turbo Charged R53 at Buttonwillow last year and finished 2.00 flat...

here are some comparative results from this year's Superlap Battle:
    Super Lap Battle Time Attack Results from the Super Lap Battle Finals 2009

So it depends on what HP level you're looking for (200whp to 450whp), all this has been done already... the M45 SC is simply under-powered (IMHO) and this limitation has prevented many MINI owners from competing in the FR circuit. With the R56, we feel the potential is much greater as a starting platform.

Case in point: when we ran the stock JCW with Yoko AD08 tires and Eibach springs (not tuned at the time), it did 1.32...

The same driver then jumped into his R53 with tuned, head work, coilover suspension, Wilwood kit, sway bars and ran a 1.33...

What the R53 need is an upgraded SC system. . . on that note, i might have an update for you next week on what we have come up with ;)

cheers.

4. sweet man!
    show them vette and evo dudes that the MINI can be on par with them
    :Thumbsup:

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    What layout did they run?

6. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sorry, didn't understand the question, what meaning by "layout"?

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0

Assuming the track has multiple configurations possible, what one was used?

AKA - Layout

8. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ah, got it... they are using the "ACS 2.500Miles" for the layout.

9. MCSvelocity

MCSvelocity New Member

May 6, 2009
    Alameda (Bay Area) CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great job guys, looks like you can catch bigger prey next time :devil:

10. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I should have been more clear, I was talking more of suspension development.

There are plenty of options for us with regard to power, but not many who specialize in making MINIs handle well (TSW!).

And nobody disagrees that the R56 is a much more capable track platform (Randy Smalley agrees). But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy one!

Anyway - good for you guys getting out to the track.

- Marc

11. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice meeting you guys and again, congrats on your win!

12. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Congrats!

13. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If you're talking suspension then most of the parts are interchangeable between generations anyways :Thumbsup:

14. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You have my attention! :popcorn:

15. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    the KW v3 are pretty good for road racing, and also the Eibach coilovers are pretty decent also... we installed a set for a customer, but i can't find it on their website. It's the fully adjustable with resevior and everything :)

16. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ABF|MYNES JCW R56 = 1:27.691 (SOW) - Street Tires...

Just got off the phone with Hubie, who is currently at Streets of Willow, "Little Beast" just ran a 1.27.691 on Yokohama AD08 DOT-approved street tires (180 wear)... and this was in the first session so hopefully the guys can chop the time by a tit bit more...:yesnod:

17. CFMINI

CFMINI New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Tech Support
    Corona, CA
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Mike -
    I think Hubie passed me today on the 405 South in the Valley just as I was getting off at Nordhoff to go to Steve's Auto Clinic. Yellow R56 with many decals, correct? He was speeding....:eek6:

18. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    C~ that's the car and it's probably one of our guys driving :)

I'm in the UK at the moment enjoying some English snow... can't wait to get back to the Socal weather. We think traffic is bad in LA... it's 10x worse here in London. And talk about high gas prices, it's US7.92 per Gallon :eek6:

It's good for us Americans to take trips like this once in a while just to remind us what a great country we have... the grass is greener on the other side, until you step on it, that is ... then it's the same sheat or even worst :mad2:

cheers...

19. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good seeing you guys out there yesterday! Impressive times out of the little MINI!

20. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mike, i wish i was there... it would have been nice and warm ;) We'll be back in town next week.

Are you back in biz? Were u running the 370z yesterday at SOW? Let us know when you're ready to tune up your lady's "machinegun Chili" R56 ;)

cheers.
    mike