2nd Gen R60 Countryman About to take the plunge

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by susanbucknam, Apr 16, 2012.

1. susanbucknam

susanbucknam New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm about to order a Countryman and wonder about maintenance issues, things that drive you nuts, things that are annoying, and things you love. Thanks!

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: BUMP BUMP! I don't own a Countryman but some kind person of knowledge should be along shortly.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I've had my CM S ALL4 for about a half a year now and I've loved EVERY second of having this car. It's my second MINI but this one I ordered from the factory so it felt like mine from the start. I'll give you a quick little run down of things I like and don't, and I know I'll miss some... I'll just post again with the things I forgot :)

Things I like: The boot handle (flip the giant MINI insignia to open the boot), the underfloor boot storage (I keep tons of things under my boot that I don't normally use on a day to day basis... For ex. An OBD code eraser because I have a lot of mods on my countryman), I love the interior... I know there has always been controversy over it, and maybe the Mickey mouse speedometer and air vents isn't my favorite but everything else is just so sleek and modern and just fun! I went for the lounge leather and you do have to take care of it but I love the Range Rover like piping on the seats, I also really really like MINI Connected and highly recommend it... It can do things way more advanced than any other system I've seen in a car... Even when my mother comes for a drive she is impressed with the system and she has a new Mercedes! I also love the MINI community... Everyone I've met and became friends with over my time with my two MINIs have been just awesome people... I go on rally's and meets and car shows because you don't just buy a MINI and that's it... A MINI is a part of the family and it's buying into a community of other MINI drivers (just to forewarn you)... Last but not least I love the way it drives! Sure I've done quite a bit of modifications to my car but even from the factory every time I drove it I had a smile on my face!

Things I don't like: #1 by far are the STUPID cup holders! You cant fit a 20oz bottle in them... Infact I'd be amazed if anyone can fit anything into them... Although I put this as a negative, I try not to eat and drink in Kowalski (my MINIs name) and the cup holder situation definitely helps with that goal. Second, is the gap between the wheel and wheel well. I had the factory sport suspension installed which should lower the car by 10mm and sure it looks better but I'm still going to put some lowering springs on and deal with it when I get into the deep Vermont snow (thank goodness for ALL4, which I love by the way!) something else that took a bit of getting used to was the clutch... It wasn't THAT big of deal but it definitely could be reworked, now though I don't have any issues with it. Something else I really don't like and this will be my last one is the oil change intervals... My car says every 15,000 miles change your oil?! Huh? Anyways I believe MINI actually lowered this recently to 10,000 but I'm still changing mine every 5,000 miles, especially because It does get worked pretty hard and I'm running a lot of mods.

Anyways hope this helps! If you have any questions whatsoever feel free to PM me.. Hope it all works out!

Kyle

4. eggmole

eggmole New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Virginia near a Beach
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have had mine for 3 months so far, and am still loving it. It is a joy to drive and ride in. I love the interior, it is different and has its quirks but all it all great and the ambient light is a huge plus to me. I fit in the back comfortably and i am not small(6'2"). I like the communities and clubs and the general comradery of the owners.

The bad that i can think of are some of the quirky sounds in the engine. What might be described as the "diesel" sound, especially during initial startup/warmup. The cup holders could be better placed and sized, oh and the shark fins on the inside, no styromfoam! The rail system is cool but not functional enough in the front due to the ill designed e-brake.

One last thing which is not the fault of the car, but is a pain, 'EggMINI' will not stay clean:mad2:. Everytime I look at him I want to break out the hose a make 'EggMINI' SHINE!!:Thumbsup: