1st Gen R53 Cooper S AC Compressor on it's way out

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Jul 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so at about 20K miles on my '06 JCW car, I started to hear a whirring in the engine bay at times. At this point, I have the conditions for the noise pretty much nailed down:
    - Only when very hot, 95F+ temps and non-highway conditions
    - no extra noise on the highway
    - really gets loud above 3.5K
    - stops completely when I turn the AC compressor off
    - can also stop if I change to highway driving after a few minutes with the AC continuing to run.

So, my AC compressor is on it's way out. For the moment it is still cooling just fine, but I know those days of cooling are numbered.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Do I have a few miles, a few hundred, or several K miles before the compressor dies?

I expect this will not be cheap to repair, but an AC in central TX is absolutely required!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's not cheap, about a grand I think. I had one replaced under warranty as the clutch burned up in it. Might want to try the warranty route if still covered. At least point out the issue to the dealer so it's on record.

64-52-6-918-122 is the part #. List is around 900.00

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Damn that is not cheap, I might need to try the slightly pre-owned route as my warranty has now expired. Buying used for an item like this is a gamble though. I have seen them used for $200, but they were a few years old and ~35K miles.

It might be a decent option though.

Oh BTW, how did yours go out? did it make any noises, smells, etc. Did the clutch just burn up and then stopped turning the actual pump/compressor, so it suddenly stopped cooling?

4. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My a/c compressor has been making that whining sound just as you describe for the past 20,000 miles and it still works. When it fails though, I'll get one of those idler pulleys and remove the compressor.

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, if you are going to remove the compressor and not replace, does that mean you do not use it now? So it makes the noise all the time, even when off? Hmmm, mine only makes the noise when the AC is running.

6. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    That’s just the way it is. You’ll also notice it doesn’t roar at night. If it is cooling that’s all that matters. So far malfunctioning behaviors haven’t been mentioned, so enjoy it while it lasts.

7. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    No problem on enjoying it while it lasts, I am certainly not going to touch it until it dies. Just wondering how long I might have, and if this is the predominant failure mode.

8. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mine sounds like a Harrier jet. I am just going to wait and see how long this bad boy lasts........

9. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Does the sound change pitch along with engine speed?

10. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, barely noticeable at idle, and then can really hear it above 3.5K. And so from the start I knew it was something hanging off the serpentine belt: AC, alternator, idler pulley, etc. Then it was pretty much locked-in as AC compressor when turning off the AC made the noise completely stop.

11. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The whine/roar is not indicative of failure if the AC continues to function normally. As you mentioned, it only occurs for you at very high ambient temps, and street stop & go city driving; so does mine. Those with removed cowl partitions notice it more than others. My AC clutch went at 90,000 plus miles some have gone 200,000, some less than 50,000. A how-to for if or when the time comes [ame=http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571]AC Compressor, Dryer & Expansion Valve Install - Lone Star Mini Club Forums[/ame]

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that, I will check out the link. And to be clear the AC system is cooling just fine. It is just getting noisy. Maybe I need to make the AC noise my new shift point for city driving. :^)

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #13 Steve, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
    Yep, that nails it. I may be the odd example here, but you can hope I suppose. Those symptoms are the same as my Cooper had for a year or two, then it stopped. That is, the noise went away. It's been another three or four years now and still working. I thought I'd lost the compressor last spring but it turned out the body shop overcharged the system when they put my car back together....fixed the charge problem and it's working fine again.

I asked about the noise on NAM about four or five years ago and the overwhelming chorus of replies was something like "that's your supercharger, DUH!" Me: "Ummm, my Cooper doesn't have a supercharger." Reply: sound of crickets chirping.

14. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem. It gets worse when the AC's running full blast, and definitely in lower gears at higher RPM's it's worse. Almost sounds like a vacuum cleaner. This happened to me last summer, and then it went away for a while... also known as winter. :lol:

15. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My system is exactly like what you are all describing. Only has the whine when turned on, it is rpm dependent, louder above 3.5k, and is more pronounced in hot weather.

16. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    While misery does like company............ That noise is NOT normal and we should not be experiencing this compressor whirring noise, even if the unit still works fine, at least for the moment. Not that I can do anything about it, but this is a clear reliability issue. Nothing to do but wait for the defect to mature into a full fledged failure.:mad2:

17. fasteddie

fasteddie New Member

May 12, 2009
    MINI Technician
    Red Oak, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'VE HEARD THE COMPRESSORS DO THAT. YOU MIGHT TRY AN A/C SERVICE. EVACUATE AND RECHARGE, AND ADD SOME OIL. I FOUND REBUILT UNITS FOR $600.00, 1 YR WARRANTY, WITH NEW CLUTCH.

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just paid a visit to my local dealership today and through some effort, I was finally able to reproduce the compressor noise with the tech riding shotgun.

I am now the proud owner of a new AC compressor. Yeah! :D

19. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Now I wish mine sounded like a harrier jet. My AC only blows air into the cabin that is at whatever temperature the Engine bay is at. It's nice in the morning until my car heats up.

Terry, it looks like the dealer helped you out. That's not am option in my case. What is everyone's opinion on getting a new compressor that is not OEM? I have seem the whole kit: expansion valve, compressor etc for $525. Is this too good to be true? I guess I could ride this out until after winter but in san Antonio that is about one month.

This could be the nail in the coffin as my wife wants me to sell the car now and stop putting money into it. :( I cannot let this happen! Anyway, thoughts and opinions would be welcomed.

Edit: just realized this was quite a thread necro.

20. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Before you put in a new compressor, go to the autoparts store and buy a recharge kit. It'll come with a pressure valve, stop leak mixed in, and a quick connect. All for about $20. My AC was just blowing air, no noise and a charge did the trick. Even if I have a leak and have to recharge it once a year, for $1500 to fix it , I can go 75 years before it costs the same :)