Adam Carolla's The Car Show debuts July 13 on SPEED

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

SPEEDâ„¢ OPENS SUMMER OFFERINGS IN JULY WITH ADAM CAROLLA AND THE CAR SHOW

Comedian Adam Carolla headlines the cast of The Car Show, a new one-hour weekly show on SPEED set to premiere July 13 at 10 p.m. ET, where everything automotive is fair game. The much anticipated program opens a summer season for SPEED that includes the launch of three new series and the return of three others.

"We are continuing the very aggressive development agenda we established for 2011 and beyond," said SPEED President Hunter Nickell. "With a staggered summer launch, a show or two planned for the fall and a good idea for what we want in the first quarter of 2012, we are doing more to strengthen our prime time lineup than ever before."

Joining Carolla on The Car Show are Pulitzer Prize-winning automotive journalist Dan Neil of The Wall Street Journal, TheSmokingTire.com's Matt Farah and former NBA great John Salley. Automotive journalists Ezra Dyer and Aaron Robinson also will be contributors.

Said Carolla: "I get to live out my boyhood fantasies about racing cars, hanging out in cars, talking about cars, building cars, wrenching on cars ... and someone pays me to do it."

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've watched this a few times and it's OK. The last one I saw where they went to the vintage races in one of Adam Carolla Datsun's was probably the best.

Hard on the heels of on the best shows they did there are changes afoot.

The show is going from 60 to 30 minutes.

John Salley is being dropped.

The drop to 30 min IMHO is stupid. With the number of commercials Speed pumps into that show it will no be maybe 18 min of actual show. A heaping bowl of Not Good if you ask me.

Dropping John Salley is a good move. Why was he even there? He's not a car guy and he can't fit in most of the cars they drive. Adding him from the start was not a good move.

Since they are tweaking this mid-season it must mean that things are not going so great. At least it's better than Pass Time and Pinks.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I agree the last show was the best so far. Now looking at the promo for the next show it looks like they are playing Top Gear wanna be again. :nonod: I think the Car Show is circling the drain.

Many more commercials & the show turns into an infomercial.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Salley was on the failed "Man Show" with Corolla... Guess they thought it would work with cars...

OK and considering the selection of shows on TV these days, its watchable......and at least as good and probably better than Top Gear America.

..but that ain't saying much is it?

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
  6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    IMHO it's worlds better than Top Gear USA. I'd rather watch an infomercial that that train wreck of a show....

7. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I think TG USA is more entertaining to watch then The Car Show. The Car Show just seems to try and cram to much in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Exactly!

9. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Good show

I like this show. It is entertaining and the four MC's fit together very well. It is a good one hour show but I can't see it going to 30 minutes and surviving.

They show so many commercials that it is only about 30 minutes now. If they go to 1/2 hour there will be no time left for the actual show.

It's better then all of the stupid Nascar crap that speed Chanel shows.

I also like the American "TOP GEAR" this year so I must really be warped.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Still sux at 30 min's.

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ Yep

If you're warped, so am I. I have been enjoying both. Sorry to hear the Car show drop to 30mins. Thats a dang shame.

It was funny watching Adam Carolla get all nervous before the race. :lol:

An idea for the show is to get a famous car enthusiast on the show in "Salley's Seat" each week. So you keep Carolla, Farah, Neil and then each week is a different car enthusiast guest in the 4th seat.

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    That's a great idea!!

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    YES, not sure how Salley landed that gig anyway.. Pretty much just sits there and grins and nods from time to time...

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Watched the latest one in it's new 1/2 hour format. Did not miss Salley at all. However, I can't tell you what they covered even after wathing the show just last night, yeah, it was that memorable.

One thing that did strike me odd was that if Matt Farah is going to be on TV where people can actually see him he needs to shave his head. A few days of stubble had all his grey in full color. It was quite distracting for some odd reason.

I want to like this show, I really do. These guys all have automotive chops but it's just not gelling for me. The 1/2 hour format is rushed too. With all those commercials Speed feels they have to run along with the lead in and lead out bumpers showing me whats next in the show the actual content may have been a whopping 15 min. Color me even less impressed.

15. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I guess speed needed the 1/2 hour back.

My guess is that the Speed Channel needed that 1/2 hour back to show more stupid NASCAR crap.

It was a very good one hour show that with all of the commercials and the lead-ins telling what is going to be seen next was only 1/2 hour anyway.

Now don't get me wrong, I was at one time a NASCAR fan. That is until the idiots in charge started making all of the cars the same with different decals stating what the car was supposed to be. Watching two cars driving around A racetrack with one humping the other and nobody actually racing is not for me.

My favorite American racing is the "ST" class in the Continental challenge series. It is always exciting to see real body cars really racing. I also like the "GT" class but the "ST" class racing is just more exciting for me.

The World Rally Championship racing is the absolute best racing in the world. If speed wants to really be a speed Chanel that they claim they need to start showing that series. It is the absolute best bar none.

:beer

16. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    FYI, WRC is televised on HD Theater (soon to be renamed Velocity).

17. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yep HD Theater has some good car stuff

I sure hope when they change the name to VELOCITY that they still show the WRC rally series just like HD Theater did. It is the only chanel that shows most of the car stuff I like. I guess we will see if they show WRC France next week.:fingerscrossed:

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Darn they slapped a turbo on it. I was hoping for supercharged programming.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Word on AutoBlog is the Car Show was not picked up for a second season and is to be canceled.

I guess Speed needs the slot for more BS programming. If it was not for the F1 coverage Speed would be totally useless as a channel in my opinion.