Add Lightness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This weeks column at Autoextremist is rather interesting.

Visit Autoextremist - Add Lightness for full article

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    He makes some very good points but his equation is flawed by human nature.. What he says will come about not by putting "supercars" in a technological box because the very end users of such products are the "super rich," who will not go without, not only certain creature comforts, but also a level of panache and glamour.

New technology cost lots of money, those with the money will fund this type of product, even if it is only to stroke their oversized egos..... Otherwise Ariel Atoms would line the streets of South Beach as we speak.

One must design and sell to the customer base... No field of dreams here....lol:p

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #3 Jason Montague, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    :cornut: I agree but by the same token didn't Porche 'make their name' in the 50's with light small engined cars like the 356 destruct on contact James Dean eliminator.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, but I agree with the fundamental idea, that so called supercars are just about over, and that fuel efficiency is going to be the overriding concern of pretty much everyone soon, so why not get a jump start on the trend?

I've always preferred smaller and lighter over big and powerful, so this plays right into my way of thinking - and I support it, natch! :biggrin5:

I mean, almost every month there's a new Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Pagani, Bugatti or soemthing on the front pages and to me, it's so much ho-hum. I just don't care anymore, they don't excite me. I guess watching Jezza smoke the tires off of something week after week doing one lurid slide after another has kindo of put me off of big HP junkmobiles. On top of that, they're SO LOUD!

Give me an affordable, lightweight, nimble handling car with some decent performance and a great soundtrack and I'm there. But make it simple and clean, I don't need froofraws and geegaws all over it to make it cool.

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    You just described my MSM with exhaust!! :p