Adding oil for HPDE?

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by Rae, Jun 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So getting ready for another track day and reading through the sponsor's website, they recommend adding an extra 1/2 quart of oil. Admittedly, T-Hill has a lot of elevation changes and big sweepers, but do you guys think this is necessary? Neither of the cars have oil pan baffles. But we both run in intermediate, not crazy racer people class. :arf: Any thoughts?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Make sure the oil is topped off. Add checking oil level to your between session repertoire.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Exactly...........

And also check the coolant.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yea just make sure your full at the start and betwixt each session... matter fact, check all your fluid levels. 2 cents

5. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I always do, that's why when I read their advice I thought it was so odd. This is the 4th time I've run there, and never had any problems, but I don't want to kill the GP either. Thanks!

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    What's HPDE?

Dave

7. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    High Performance Driving Event. Or wicked fun times on a track :biggrin5:

8. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have been running an extra half quart with no ill effects. We had a guy out here in the Seattle area blow a JCW motor due to slightly low oil. Another guy with a Traqmate showed no loss of oil pressure on the same track but with the oil topped off. I run 235 RA1s on 17s and drive fairly aggressively (and not a lot of braking but a LOT of throttle steering), so this last weekend I installed an RMW baffle (with the help of a very generous friend with smaller hands to unbolt/rebolt the AC compressor). I probably will still run a bit overfull. I just don't want to take a chance.

Dave - get your fanny out to the track. PM me for info.

Pat

9. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So tell me more about the baffle install. I've been thinking about doing it and I'm pretty sure the AC compressor is toast in the GP. So if that has to come off anyway!?!?! Are you an R53 or R56?
    and +1 for getting out on the track!

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I thought I'd top off my coolant at the last HPDE by throwing in a bottle of water wetter. Well, I ended up with a hot mess as the extra coolant came out through the cap and spilled all over the place. I used to top up my brake fluid to the max mark, but always ended up with extra fluid sweating down the sides of the reservoir. This time I filled to the min mark - no stray fluid.

Lesson learned - fill but don't overfill. Fill to the min mark when you have a choice. All the sloshing around on track will make a mess in your engine bay if you overfill. Same with oil - too much and you can harm the engine. Just make sure you have enough, and check it every couple sessions.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #11 Metalman, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    Yeah...
    If you overfilled to the point that the crankshaft is smacking into the pool of oil. The engine will whip that oil into a froth and you'll be competing with Dairyqueen,..... Not a good thing.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Oil cavitation is a very good way to lose an engine. Bubbles don't lubricate well.

That being said I don't believe adding an extra half quart of oil is going to harm a thing.

As has been said, be vigilant about checking your oil, both on & off track.

13. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I don't and wouldn't add an "extra" half quart. Make sure you have the adequate amount and check 5-mins before going out to your next run session just like checking the torque on your lugs... :D

Have fun at Thunderhill. I haven't been but folks tell me it's a fun course. I'll be at Buttonwillow in two weeks. You should come down for that. ;)

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is the baffle thingie...

[​IMG]

Replaces the current oil pickup tube that hangs down in the pan. Mine has been in place for over 3 years now.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If for any reason the pan comes off the bottom of the lump in my MINI one of those baffles will go it. I think it is a great idea & really aides lubrication in high G maneuvers. :Thumbsup:

16. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I run the car with oil about half way between full and a quart low. Not full.

Car has been doing about 12 DE weekends a year for the last 4 years. Just about to turn 90K.

Also learned the above lessons with brake fluid and water. If you change pads do not fill brake fluid further than mid-way. Water just needs to be above the min mark when cold.

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Are you thinking the oil expands 1/2 quart when your MINI is hot? I understand the water & brake fluid, but the oil has me stumped.

18. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Goes back to the explanation above about frothing the oil at high RPM and high G load. Not only does it put air in the oil, it causes oil pressure spikes and drops.

When I ran two stroke bikes, over filling the oil could cause crankcase gasket failure.

19. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I pulled the oil pan on my BMW last weekend, and it's got all sorts of things to help keep the oil down - windage tray, deeper sump at the pump pickup, baffle around the pickup - but the MINI has none of that, just an open pan. It also made me realize how relatively easy the pan is to access on the MINI - just disconnect the motor mount, pull a few accessories, and go to town.

20. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #20 Onramp, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    I have an R-53. The AC pump is in the way of a couple of pan bolts if you aren't into putting the car into "service mode" with some special tool that allows you to move the radiators forward out of the way.

Alan - the guy that blew his motor here in Seattle was running a half quart low. He was running 225 track rubber, and we have a couple of long sweepers at our home track here in the Seattle area. Lots of cars have oil starvation issues here. I have been running the extra half quart for a couple of years with no issues on the track or on the street.

Thanks for the picture, Nate. The thing fit perfectly and no welding.

Pat