Advice on a new MINI

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by fuzzywunkle, Sep 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fuzzywunkle

fuzzywunkle New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first MINI. I'm looking forward to rubbing on my new baby. What are the recommendations from you detailing gurus about new cars? Wax right away? Wait a certain period of time? We do not have a garage so I want to protect it as much as I can.

What products do you recommend for the Spice Orange color?

I am also getting the conical spoke wheels and having the dealership paint them white (because the white wheels are no longer available). Whar's your advice for dealing with painted wheels?

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Congratulations: Pictures when you have some. :)

Prima products are great, Epic for wax, Hydro for drying and a interim light spray wax as you dry. Or you can go with some of the other products. I use the Prima line.

As for the wheels, I would go with a powder coat versus a paint application. If they do a quality repaint, it should last with a regular cleaning and wheel wax.

Enjoy...
    Don

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to M/A....
    What Don said....
    White means you'll be cleaning brake dust a lot. There is a product called "Wheel Wax", just for this which makes the dust wash off easier.
    Powder Coat will withstand the abuse of the brake dust much better. If you find you aren't satisfied with the dealers paint job or you get tired of cleaning the white wheels all the time, just work directly with your local powder coater for a re-do. Not that big a problem if you change your mind.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I myself love the Zaino line of products. Been using them for about 8 yrs and love it.

You can use the same product on the wheels as you use on the car too.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I like Prima products too. Epic & Hydro are my favorites. I also use Griots products. You'll need to experiment a bit & see what you like best.

As for those white wheels I'd recommend replacing the oem brake pads with ceramic ones. Your wheels will stay much cleaner than they will with the oem pads. MINI brake pads are amazingly dusty.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Prima products here too! Like it so much since owning the MINI that I use it on my 69 TR6 now too. The new Hydro 2 is really great stuff!

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Whatever product you choose to use, claybar before you do anything. It's not rocket science. You can have the job done in half an hour or less.

8. fuzzywunkle

fuzzywunkle New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to set aside an afternoon after we bring it home for a clay and a wax. Will also wax those wheels as suggested.

I'm off to buy some product......

PS As we speak the Themis Leader is steaming into Southampton to pick the little sweetheart up. She'll be underway by tomorrow AM, my time. :biggrin5:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I wish you a safe & speedy voyage. :)

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Prima is the best and you can find them at my site at ShowCarSupplies.com Shopping Cart

I would start off with some mild Clay..my favorite is the Meguiar's C2000 clay
    https://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=116&bc=no

And then I would follow it with Prima's new Hydro Seal. Get some Hydro Wash while you are at it and use this to wash your car before you do Hydro Seal. You will get fantastic durability with a super easy single coat application.
    https://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=245&bc=no

https://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=246&bc=no

Check out my Claybar 101 video on YouTube
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu8TpYGF9Fg]Claybar 101 With OctaneGuy - YouTube[/ame]

There is no need to wait for the factory cured paint to "cure". You can wax it the moment you bring it home if you want. Since the MINI won't be garaged, Hydro Seal will give you great long lasting protection.

As for the wheels, I'm with others...powdercoat is best otherwise your painted wheels will chip and deteriorate much faster, especially for a non garaged vehicle..brake dust will eat your paint very quickly.

Richard

11. fuzzywunkle

fuzzywunkle New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Octaneguy. I have already watched your video on claying. Thanks for the tips on the Hydroseal.

I've looked into the powdercoating and it's about 3 times as much as painting. Plus I'd have to take the wheels off and set the car on blocks while it's getting done. So for right now, it's paint. Eventually when I have time and money, I'll go for the powder coating.

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Cool!

re: PC
    Yep, in the future, you can get the wheels chemically stripped and powder coated...it does cost more, but durability is superior..and we all know that having to pull the wheels and tires and get them mounted and rebalanced will add costs as well and takes time!

=)

Richard

13. bullet1

bullet1 New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Programmer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of good products out there. I've never used Prima before but people seem to like them. I've been using Meguiars Professional polishes and waxes for about 10 years now and have always had excellent results.

Are you going to be working by hand or with a machine? What products you buy will vary greatly based on this.