Exterior 2nd Gen Aero bumper installed

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by david in germany, Dec 30, 2010.

1. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Finally got around to clearing the snow in my drive way so I could install my Aero bumper. The hardest part of the install was cutting the ducts in the hard felt part of the wheel well!:frown2:

Well whatcha think? I think Donkey is getting sexy!! I like this pic because you can see my Jsart wingtip too. ;)
    [​IMG]

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nice job and it look good. One of the wing tip extensions is in my future too. :Thumbsup: Can't you get the green USA plates or do they not use them anymore?

Jim

3. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! No more green plates. All the plates are from the host town now.
    Did you get your PM?

4. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking instead of the JCW badge on the bottom grill (wouldn't put one on unless I had a JCW) I should get a little custom name plate that says "hello my name is Donkey"
    lol

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That looks great David! :Thumbsup:

I bet you had some pretty cold fingers while doing the work. How long did it take you?

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Nice job David. I'll bet you had fun doing it outside. Did you get a measurement, before and after on that gap between the bonnet and bumper (just below the headlights)?

7. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, REALLY cold fingers!
    All in all it took me about two hours.

8. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It does have a little more gap but if I try to reduce it the hood rattles loosely. I think I will notice it more than anyone else though.

9. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have had a bit of time to get out on the autobahn since the Aero bumper install and it may be my mind playing tricks on me but the car really does feel more planted. Bumps in the road over 60mph are still felt but it feels if the suspension is working more than the body bounces now.

On the brake side, when I would come off of the autobahn before I could feel the heat coming from my front brakes and yesterday after a very "spirited" drive with a nice hard stop from about 105mph my calipers were physically cold and my disks were warm but not hot like they would have been before.

anyone else experience these things?

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I can't say I've noticed the MINI being any more planted at normal highway speeds as I haven't had it anywhere near your speed on our public roads.

I did notice my JCW (Brembo) brakes were cool to the touch during my time on some of the runs on the Dragon which surprised me with the workout they were getting.

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Hummmm, I can't say I've gotten out of the car and felt my breaks (I do give her a pat on the hood). Guess I'd better start dong that. :lol:

Jim

12. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It is good practice to know your vehicle. If you haven't been braking hard but you have a hot wheel/disk it could be the signs of a failing bearing. I occasionally cop a feel of the rear and front (that sounds fun) :Thumbsup: just to get an idea of running temps. I check various under hood items the same way. I am certain that one of those laser thermometers would probably be a better idea to use though.

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    David....
    When I first got all the parts for my JCW aero bumper install, I thought the two air ducts were a joke and almost didn't bother installing the two runners. How could something so small duct enough air to the brakes. They apparently are designed to work and do just that.

14. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree, they are so simple, so simple how could they NOT work. I think at the higher speeds the velocity is quite high too.
    Maybe it can keep the dusting down too as it is always being blown out? :lol:

15. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks Great David! Did it come pre-painted?

16. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No, I had a a local body shop do it. Family run shop, the father wanted about $400 to do it... I have a good relationship to the son and got it done for about half.

17. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Picked up my Under panels today, missing one mounting bracket though so no install tonight.

18. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'll be interested to hear if you notice a difference on the Autobahn and at what speed. BTW I like your new signature on that 'other' site ;)

19. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    haha "other site" lol
    Coopernation did an awesome job with it. Well with the install I also have a skid plate to add so maybe when i am done i will just float dawn the road (wheels touching of course) :)

20. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Like a Star Wars Landcruiser ;)