2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Air Conditioner

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by bezoar, Jun 3, 2012.

1. bezoar

bezoar New Member

May 14, 2011
    Physician Assistant in Emergency Medicine
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I note that the Mini A/C is weak at best. If this IS the way it’s supposed to be, I’ll accept that. If not, what are the inherent problems using those do-it-yourself recharging systems. I assume the port to apply the charging material is that one on the left next to the oil dip stick, NOT the one on the lower right behind the radiator.

2. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK the AC in the MINI should be able to keep up without issue, you likely have a problem. Check your cabin filter, low airflow is bad for any AC system.
    I am an HVAC tech, while I have no experience with automotive experience directly the theory is the same. I would not advise the repair your own systems. For one it might not be a leak(It is common on cars though) if it isn't a leak adding refrigerant will not help and can damage your compressor. If it is a leak you still don't know how much to add. If you do add refrigerant in a leaking system it will continue to leak, refrigerant does not wear out, if it is leaking the leak should be repaired. They do make the stop leak, but honestly I don't really trust it. The only time I would try the self charge/leakstop is and old car I really don't care much about. Charge it up as best you can with the kit and if it dies so be it.

PS if anyone has any AC/heating issues feel free to PM me, I may not be able to do much but I may be able to help.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    The AC in my '05 MCS works great! I'd suggest you get yours looked at by a professional. Without really knowing first hand what your issue is, and assuming the thing is blowing warm air, you may have a leaking component that will need replacement. I also agree that the do-it-yourself method is certainly an option, but IMHO I'd stay away from it.

Good-Luck and would love to hear details of the outcome.

4. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Also of note. If it is not leaking. Check the radiator fan for 2 speed function. Could be the cause as well. Best of luck getting your AC back

5. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    Many of the cars are under filled from the factory and do not blow very cold. have it drained and filled to the right level and it will work a lot better. over filled (the the do it your self cans) will cause it to stop work all together.

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
  7. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I only get the DIY cans that come with a gauge, for this very reason. Read the directions carefully because the target coolant pressure varies greatly with ambient temperatures.

This is not one of the instances where MORE = BETTER

8. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    So far, I've been very impressed with my MCS A/C system. It's among the best of any of the 4-cyl cars I've owned.

Most we've had so far is about 95F or so, high humidity; it performed well. It helps that there's not a lot of interior to cool, and I have tinted windows.

Lots of good ideas for servicing, etc. Just a data point that a system in good repair should be pretty capable.

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    The R56 loaner I had a few years ago had an AC that rocked. It definately outperformed the R53 that was only a few years old at the time (back when it was still under warranty).

10. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I find the one in my R56 a bit on the week side too. My wife's Yaris kicks ass in comparison.

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mine was getting "tired" and weak last summer after 5 years... topped it off per Aaron's instructions and has been much better.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    You need to be careful with the top off though. My A/C has always been a bit on the weak side but at one point a few years ago it became positively anemic. Took me a while to notice that it was actually alternating between blowing chilled and non-chilled air. Turned out the compressor was cutting in and out because there was a tiny bit too much refrigerant in the system. No, not my fault, I had some work done by a shop and they needed to remove the condenser so they had to empty and refill the system. I had it tested at a different shop and after a very small amount of refrigerant was removed it was back to normal.

As has been said, extended operation with too much refrigerant, even just a small over fill, can permanently damage the compressor. This definitely isn't one of those situations where you want to use the old adage "more is better."

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely true. Overcharged mine a bit and the compressor started whining at speed. Bled back to spec and all is well.