2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Alignment issues...How does yours run?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Syberwop, May 2, 2011.

1. Syberwop

Syberwop New Member

May 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Cooper S is a 2007. I got it a little less than a year ago. No crash history, and I've not hit any curbs. Potholes, once or twice, but really nothing significant.

When I got the car, it pulled to the right, but I took it to the dealer to have them check it out (I got it at CarMax) they said everything was running fine and that the Cooper S tends to pull to the right because of the turbo.

Flash foward 9 months and the car is in the shop needing 2 new front tires because they're worn down almost to the rim. I had the tires replaced and an alignment done and the car is STILL pulling to the right (it's fairly significant, after about 2 seconds it will dart across two lanes).

Does anyone have a similar experience? I don't know if the dealer is just screwing with me at this point or if the S's really do pull to the right. Or is this a sign of some greater trouble?

I'm a chick without a lot of experience when it comes to mechanics...please give me your advice so I don't look like an idiot next time I go into the shop!

Thanks!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    1. Take it to another shop!

2. Get a print out of the readings and share them with us please. We can help guide you with that info.

How are the tires worn? Inside, outside? down the middle? Can you post a picture of a worn tire please.

Welcome to the site too, thanks for being a member.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The reference of "Pulling To The Right" as an inherent trait of the Cooper S has more to do with "Torque Steer" when you are mashing the go pedal hard. With proper tire inflation and proper alignment the MINI should not pull to the right (or left for that matter) under normal conditions.
    Since you bought it from CarMax as a used vehicle, the previous owner may not have been as careful with the pot holes. The best thing to do is to take it to an alignment shop that is familiar with MINI's.

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hello and welcome! What Nathan and Metalman said :Thumbsup:

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    When it pulls to the right was it under acceleration (pushing the gas pedal down) or just cruising (no gas pedal) in a straight line?

Rotate your tires every 5-7k miles. MINIs wear tires front heavy and if you rotate them you will find yourself replacing them less often and 4 at a time versus 2.

I'll be honest. I've dealt A LOT wih Carmax, and while I'm sure everyone else here has some epic negative experience with them, I haven't. They have been really great for me in both sales and service. I doubt they are "screwing" with you. My guess is that there may be an issue with what they think the specs should be and what they actually should be. I'd follow up on what Nathan said and upload the alignment print-out so we can see if something is off.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. Follow the advice and this place can help you out. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. Syberwop

Syberwop New Member

May 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all, this is great information. I've been dealing only with the dealership because it's under warranty (of course the tires and alignment aren't), and I figured they would do the best work.

I'm taking it back to the service manager and I will get a printout of the specs...I hate to sound so naive, but what should the alignment be? I've read between .37 and .34. Does that sound right?

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Those are just your caster settings, I believe and are not adjustable. You should be primarily concerned with your camber and toe. Not sure what the factory settings for those would be for MIK2 cars.

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Most dealers farm out their alignment work and if it wasn't a MINI dealer they probably use the cheapest place. You need to find a real good alignment shop since your paying anyway. If it's pulling it's off.

10. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    If it always pulls in the same direction while cruising, that usually indicates a bad wheel bearing or a dragging brake on that side. Suspension dammage may also be a possibility.
    The wheel alignment (especially the toe in) will certainly affect how the tires wear though and if they're wearing really unevenly, the toe must be way off. I wonder if the previous owner hit a curb hard enough to bend a tierod or something.

11. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    When you get it properly alligned, it should track like it was on rails. At least mine does as do all Indians walk in single file. I know because the one that I saw, did. Find the big dog tire, wheel and allignment shop. They will have the specs, equipment and know-how to do it right, smoke out any possible problems and have you back on the road with the silly grin that you deserve.

12. alf2all

alf2all New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pulling minis like untrained dogs

It appears that the mini is a very fickle beast. Mine as well has a tendency to go off alignment very easily. Once again my front wheels are cupping, and if anyone out there knows for sure what the toe (not tow) specs are supposed to be, that would be great.
    thanks

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    That is a sign of suspension damage or poorly re-assembled suspension. I have 64,000+ miles with autocrosses and track days and I've never needed an alignment.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    How many miles on your MINI? I agree with Redbeard something is worn out.

15. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Front control arm bushings were the first thing to go on mine. Struts were next; I think that's when I saw cupping on my tires.

16. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    This is for 2nd Gen MINIs.

17. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The control arm bushings can still go bad. I'd look at those first then the motor mounts. After having an alignment done properly

18. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Oops, missed that.

19. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #19 DixonL2, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Also check REAR wheel alignment, it's fairly common for them to come from the factory with some weird rear toe settings. This is adjustable by moving the trailing arm mount to the chassis (loosen three bolts, adjust (holes are slotted), drop to ground, roll out, re-check alignment)

(above paragraph edited thanks to my great friend Jason, who posted below AND who checked and corrected this on MY car!)

Also check and re-check tire pressure, even a 1/2 psi difference can result in a pull, as can a "tire pull", where a minor difference in tire construction (even between tires of the same make/model) can result in a "pull". Rotate, change position of tire on car, re-check. Both a tire-pressure difference and a "tire pull" can show up as either a consistent pull, or as a pull only on acceleration/braking.

20. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0